MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Playback Delay On Computer Monitor

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt CahillPlayback Delay On Computer Monitor
by on Jun 24, 2006 at 7:33:40 pm

Is there some kind of setting for video delay on my computer monitor? Back in the old days ('95), I recall the playback from source and record was seemless and realtime on two 21" monitors. I have a dual 800 w/sx option, 17" Apple LCD and 19" Radius and playback is not very smooth.

There's five times the memory in this system, so, it doesn't seem right.

Return to posts index

Arthur DentRe: Playback Delay On Computer Monitor
by on Jun 26, 2006 at 1:39:25 pm

When Media 100 separated the subsampler from the edit suite in version 7 and made that window scalable, that scaling was done on the host cpu, and on a slower machine it could drop frames.

With 8.2 i believe they allowed the subsamplers to scale even larger, and WILL drop frames at the largest setting. When this happens, a yellow indicator will be present (in the lower LH portion of the viewer). If you click that indicator the viewer will resize to the point that frames will no longer drop. Often too small to be workable...

I've found that I have to find a compromise between an occasional dropped frame in the subsampler and a viewer size that I can deal with.

It's important to note that only the display in the subsampler is dropping frames, not the actual playback, so you can always trust the output to your client monitor

Hope this helps

Return to posts index

Matt CahillRe: Playback Delay On Computer Monitor
by on Jun 27, 2006 at 12:19:07 pm

Thanks, that explains the problem - craning my neck all the time to see the playback is a pain, well. . .guess I'll have to put another 8" on my desktop for confirmation.

I did see the yellow indicator, just strikes me as silly when it scaled down the image to an unworkable postage-size view, even then it seems to drop frames every once in a while.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved