MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Frame late mastering problem / Boris Yamnitsky at Broadcast Live report

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek BruceFrame late mastering problem / Boris Yamnitsky at Broadcast Live report
by on Jun 22, 2006 at 12:56:23 pm

Hello all, here is what I learnt from Boris Yamnitsky at Broadcast Live:

Had a great chat with Boris Yamnitsky at Broadcast Live - Media 100 is back! For those of you that don't know, Boris was part of the team that developed Media100 V1 - he has Media 100 in his blood! It seems that Optibase weren't very interested in Media100 and did a really bad job managing it - a lot of the unresolved issues with Media100 HD appear to be partly related to Optibase's zero interest in the development of the Media100 HD product (just wanted to make their money back on their investment!). Boris has got previous Media100 engineers back on board and seems committed to developing Media100 further.

Frame late mastering problem

My main issue having owned Media100 HD from the start has been with the frame late mastering problem. This problem has been difficult to understand due to the fact that many users don't experience it! As I have described in previous posts, I have changed OS's, Mac's, Media100 HD boards, decks, etc with no success (I mainly use DVCAM which masters one frame late every time). Boris suggested that it's not a hardware problem but more to do with Media100 HD communicating with some decks and not others. It's possible that the HD product masters frame accurately with, for example, DigiBeta decks but not with some DVC PRO and DVCAM decks! This makes some sense in understanding why some of us have this problem and others not. Boris is confident that this has been resolved in the soon to be released V11, and if not, I know he is on the case after I explained in great detail what I have experienced! My perspective is that, if it is some kind of hardware issue it may also be resolved by using the new AJA hardware that's being introduced. Boris is sending me a beta verison of v11 to test with my HDX board/decks - I will post the results when I get it.

Media100 HD and the near future

The good news is that Media100 HD is being developed to be a competitive product in the edit world. It looks like Platinum support will be worth investing in again as regular updates/upgrades are promised. Boris described some of the developments that V11 onwards will bring - this includes: firewire, P2, and also 24P and SDI audio. We can also expect better integration of Boris products with the Media100 timeline - Boris described how he would love to see a Boris Blue type product in the same timeline as the Media100 video/audio tracks! As most people know V11 is being sold with new AJA hardware/breakout box. Boris explained that the V11 updates will still be compatible with the HDX boards currently used with Media100 HD. The AJA hardware has some advantages though, particularly for those who have migrated to Final Cut Pro - all is forgiven, with a dual boot Mac and the AJA hardware the user will be able to run both Media100 HD and Final Cut Pro on the same Mac! (particularly useful if you have a lot of old Media100 timelines to access and now only own FCP!) On a related note, Boris Blue (Intel/PC only at the moment) looks very impressive using high-end graphics cards to play back multiple effects in real-time, and also render faster.

Finally, it was good to meet up with Chris (aka Sheeplove on the cow) who has a great idea in restarting the Media100 UK users group with support from Boris/Media100 and resellers. Being able to discuss problems with other users is obviouly great (as with the cow forum) and the users group can give us a greater voice for dealing with Media100 issues. Things are looking up!

Derek Bruce
25th Frame Productions

Media100 HD v10.1.4
Dual 2.7 GHz Mac
6 Gig RAM
OS 10.4.5
Quicktime 7.0.4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved