MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Convert Media 100i Digitised files to files FCP can handle.

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AlexConvert Media 100i Digitised files to files FCP can handle.
by on Jun 18, 2006 at 10:49:04 am

I've asked this before but i still can't do it. Can someone tell me how to convert my Media 100i digitised files to ones i can use with FCP (I'd really rather not get involved with FCP but it seems to be the way the world is going!).

I have all the M100 files on a G-raid which is NOT attached to the M100 edit suite. I've been told in the past I need to download a Codec but I don't understand how that works.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Convert Media 100i Digitised files to files FCP can handle.
by on Jun 18, 2006 at 1:30:45 pm

Alex,

the files digitized in Media 100 are in a special "Codec", the Media 100 codec. This codec is required to "explain" QuickTime how to read the files. Go to the download section of the Media 100 website and download the Software Codec there. Your Media 100 system has the Codec in its hardware, it is a chip that decodes and encodes these files. So if you want to use the files on a Computer that does not have the Media 100 hardware you need this codec. Once you have installed it FCP can read the Media 100 files.
Unfortunately FCP is not very good in mixing different codecs on a timeline, so maybe you have to convert the files into a codec the FCP setup does "like".

Return to posts index

AlexRe: Convert Media 100i Digitised files to files FCP can handle.
by on Jun 18, 2006 at 4:01:09 pm

ll give it a go, thanks

Alex

Return to posts index

Mike WeberRe: Convert Media 100i Digitised files to files FCP can handle.
by on Jun 19, 2006 at 4:27:40 pm

Alex -

In case you just have a few clips, and plan on working in the standard DV codec in FCP, this is the procedure that has worked well for us. I'm assuming you captured your footage originally as 720x486, 4:3 with the M100 codec.

- Export your footage as a By-Reference movie from M100.
- Open the reference movie in QuickTime Pro
- Export it as a DV movie. Be sure to set the size dimensions as custom - 720x480.

For the record, I've tried the obvious - exporting the DV movie right from Media100. For some reason, the movie looks bad when dropped into FCP, slightly jittery, like the field order is wrong or something. When I check the movie, it says lower field, just like the one made via QuickTime. The one made via QT looks great, the direct one doesn't, so who knows? It'd be nice to do this in one step instead of two. Floh?

mw

Return to posts index

by on Jun 19, 2006 at 6:22:56 pm

Michael C. :

I think it unlikely that FCP would pick up the code but can't be sure in this case. Each clip appears to begin at 00 however, when I digitised the media I had to do it on the fly from and old Sony 8 Video Camera (long story...) so there was no timecode in the first place, sorry I can't be more help there.

Mike Weber. :

I keep forgetting to tell people - I'm working in PAL. I should have digitised everything in 720 by 576 but accidentally clicked 768 by 576 (I've no idea why, the footage has been sat on my drives for a while and I'm only just getting to cutting it now).

You're right, the footage does look jittery however I'd put it down to the fact I used 768 by 576.

On the Mac monitor, footage looks ok, it's when it goes through an ADVC110 to get pictures up on a tv monitor that the jittering becomes apparent (the ADVC is expecting 720 to come down the firewire so I'm guessing that's the problem there - what do you think?

With all that in mind - should I redigitise in 720 (in which case I may aswell 'Aquire' it in FCP) or can I export the 768 footage from QT as 720 (will that work??) Or, can I continue using the footage in FCP, now that I've downloaded the M100 codec, and export the whole project to quicktime when I'm done (or will the jittering become a problem then?).

Thanks in advance.

Alex.

Return to posts index

Mike WeberRe: Convert Media 100i Digitised files to files FCP can handle. Floh help?
by on Jun 19, 2006 at 7:41:50 pm

Alex

Unfortanately I'm at the limits of my knowledge about this. Rather than give you bad advice, I'll flag this message for Floh...

Return to posts index

Arthur DentRe: Convert Media 100i Digitised files to files FCP can handle.
by on Jun 20, 2006 at 1:29:07 pm

The jittering you're seeing is probably reversed field dominance.

I belive in version 8.2.3 m100 added a check box for feild dominance on export.

Try exporting a short 10 - 20 second test sequence with the different feild orders selected and see which one looks right in FCP (I can NEVER remember which standard has which feild order).

Though, it may be quicker for you to re-aqcuire the material in FCP... Why are you using that any way?

~A.D.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2006 at 3:44:49 pm

Probably quicker to start again, it's getting messy now.

Good question. I thought it would be a good idea to learn FCP so I'm trying to cut this thing at home, it's also so I don't have to use the office M100 suites.

People keep raving about how easy FCP is and how it can do all these amazing things but quite frankly it seems much more complicated than M100 and unecessarily so.

I think Boris should market SW to combat FCP...

Alex.

Return to posts index

Michael C.Re: Convert Media 100i Digitised files to files FCP can handle.
by on Jun 19, 2006 at 4:25:05 pm

Does FCP see the timecode?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]