MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Hard discs wiped disaster! What could have gone wrong?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy TaplinHard discs wiped disaster! What could have gone wrong?
by on Jun 14, 2006 at 12:01:29 pm

Yesterday I started up my G4 1.25GHZ 10.4.6 which has 2 internal discs (80GB boot disc and an additional 120GB disc) and 2 firewire drives attached. All files on all the discs (including the 120GB internal) apart from the boot disc have dissapeared.

The discs are empty! That's 600GB of data that's just vanished. The only thing I can think of is I'm using Personal Backup from Intego for backing up data, mostly in the background and it seemed to be taking ages to repair permissions yesterday - it felt a bit fishy at the time. But it wasn't backing up on all the drives. And one of the discs deleted is a source not a destination.

The mac has been getting a little less stable recently since installing media 100 8.2.3a - occasional freezes that require holding down the power button to restart. I also posted here about M100 failing to launch after using aother apps like After Effects. This may not be relevant to the data loss problem which I have never experienced before.

It feels like a system wide OS X problem resulting in the directory of the drives becoming unreadable?
Something to do with corrupt permissions maybe?

DiskWarrior did not restore the original directory.

Techtool pro was no use - I do have an off-line back up of about 80% of my video files and After effects renders so it's not a total disaster but it's too close for comfort.

i really need to try and find out what happend to preserve my sanity!

Many thanks

Andy Taplin

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Hard discs wiped disaster! What could have gone wrong?
by on Jun 14, 2006 at 10:46:22 pm

Have you tried to boot from the OSX CD and then run Disk Utility from there ? Perhaps a scan of the drives and a permissions repair from that might help.

When you booted up, did the drives appear on the desktop as normal, just empty ? or did they not even mount? Were there any files left or was it completely blank? Did the OSX system files remain, or did they go as well and you needed to re-install?

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Hard discs wiped disaster! What could have gone wrong?
by on Jun 15, 2006 at 8:39:13 am

Thanks Kieran

I'll try booting form the CD as you suggest.

The drives mounted OK but were completely blank, apart from the internal boot drive that was OK.

I'm pretty sure now that it's an issue with Intego Personal BackUp trying to repair permissions - even they recommend using Disk Utility - others say don't repair permissions unless you really need to.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved