Media 100HD mastering (2frames off)

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcow
Boogerd
Media 100HD mastering (2frames off)
on Jun 12, 2006 at 1:41:14 pm

Can somebody help me.
First i would like to excuse me for my english.
I've got a problem with mastering. When i use the assamble edit option, its always 2 frames off. When i set my program in time at 02:00:00 it actually is 01:59:23 on tape. I've got three identical media 100HD sets i'm running version 10.1.2 they all got the same problem. Hopfully sombody can help me with this.

Return to posts index

CleverMoniker
Re: Media 100HD mastering (2frames off)
on Jun 12, 2006 at 8:57:28 pm

Given the timecode numbers you've stated, it appears your using PAL.

What are the other particulars? SD or HD timeline? What's the deck you're using? Does it happen with more than one deck?

Return to posts index

Stephen Bull
on Jun 13, 2006 at 12:48:06 am

We have a similar problem with our Media 100 HD system when mastering to Sony VTR's, but we get an extra frame added to the edit point.

I have copied below a link to an earlier discussion of this issue where Floh offers a few ideas to get around this problem. You may have more luck then we did with it!

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=4&postid=85...

It would be great if you could let me know if you find a solution to this problem.

Cheers

Steve

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jun 13, 2006 at 6:20:40 am

[Stephen Bull] "We have a similar problem with our Media 100 HD system when mastering to Sony VTR's, but we get an extra frame added to the edit point. "

Stephen,

do you still see this problem? Do you have access to a HDCam deck to test it? If yes, send me an email ; maybe we can figure out why this is happening on your system and not with our setup.

Boogerd, which kind of decks are you using? Are you mastering HD or SD?

Return to posts index

cowcow
Boogerd
on Jun 13, 2006 at 6:24:00 am

Hi CleverMoniker,

thanks for reacting. Yes u are wright i'm using pal. I'm using SD timelines. I only use one deck and it is a Sony dvw A500p.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jun 13, 2006 at 6:38:49 am

[Boogerd] "thanks for reacting. Yes u are wright i'm using pal. I'm using SD timelines. I only use one deck and it is a Sony dvw A500p."

Hi Boogerd,

we

Return to posts index

Boogerd
on Jun 13, 2006 at 6:49:14 am

Thanks for the response Floh,

I probably can't check your list to day but i will let you know as soon as possible.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jun 14, 2006 at 11:41:54 am

Boogerd,

one thing you definitely should check also is if the "Sync audio to " setting is set to your selected out. So if you are mastering using the SDI 2 out or the Component out, make sure that SDI 2 or component is selected there.

Return to posts index

Boogerd
on Jun 13, 2006 at 6:31:34 am

Hi Steven

Thanx for the reply, i've read the discussion u where talking about. I've tried most things and the only thing that works is set the timeline start at 00:02:00:02. If i do that then it will be 00:02:00:00 on tape. But that's not the way i wanna keep doing it.

Return to posts index

Derek Bruce
Re: Media 100HD mastering frame problem
on Jun 13, 2006 at 12:38:57 pm

Hello all,

I have had the same problem ever since I have owned Media100 HD. Have tried everything I can think of in the past - different decks, Media100 settings, Mac OS's, different Mac's, different Media100 HD boards - even my Media100 reseller spent some time with my Mac and after changing boards, macs, OS's, decks they still couldn't solve the problem. Everytime I master (mostly SD using 10bit HD setting) Media100 HD always masters 1 frame late on the tape (have obviously tried mastering using other compression settings as well). Spent a lot of time and money trying to solve this problem and it is still my biggest problem with Media100 HD (originally Media100 never acknowledged that there was a problem!). I remember using the early Media100 suites many years ago on Macs that had the same performance as today's Palm's! - they had their issues but never such a basic mastering problem. So far I have continued mastering by changing the Media100 timelines by a frame to get the correct timecode mastered on the tapes. My biggest fear with this is coming back to an edit in the future with a new timeline and trying to insert edit onto an old master - the risks of inserting a frame wrong are very high!

Hopefully the next generation (or update for the current board???) of Media100HD will solve this - and also the colour problem when exporting stills frames the timeline, and also the rendering problem when trying to render Boris title fx tracks manipulating video on the timeline - renders black! (I'm sure there are more issues I can't think of at the moment!) I don't want to put down Media100 because I am a 'born and raised' Media100 editor and I love the interface and don't want to have to go down the Final Cut route. These issues though are fundamental to any form of editing and need to be resolved.
Regards,

Derek Bruce
25th Frame Productions

Media100 HD v10.1.4
Dual 2.7 GHz Mac
6 Gig RAM
OS 10.4.5
Quicktime 7.0.4

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jun 13, 2006 at 12:46:25 pm

[Derek Bruce] "I have had the same problem ever since I have owned Media100 HD. Have tried everything I can think of in the past - different decks, Media100 settings, Mac OS's, different Mac's, different Media100 HD boards - even my Media100 reseller spent some time with my Mac and after changing boards, macs, OS's, decks they still couldn't solve the problem. Everytime I master (mostly SD using 10bit HD setting) Media100 HD always masters 1 frame late on the tape (have obviously tried mastering using other compression settings as well). Spent a lot of time and money trying to solve this problem and it is still my biggest problem with Media100 HD (originally Media100 never acknowledged that there was a problem!)."

What deck do you use as a recorder? We

Return to posts index

Michael Todd Thorpe
on Jun 13, 2006 at 3:40:05 pm

Hi Gang,

We've been having the same problem with our HD. We're mastering to DVCPro50 decks in NTSC SD. Nothing has changed in our set up from the implementation of the M100HD, our two M100i's are working just fine and frame accurate. It sure seems to me, in our situation, that the HD software is playing the program two frames early compared to the edit in on the tape deck; ie the tape deck is editing accurately, just the timeline is playing two frames early. I've double checked all our decks' settings, swapped decks, checked the M100HD settings, same as everyone else. My work around has been to simply start the edit two frames later.

To be honest, I hadn't even noticed the discrepancy until my assistant pointed it out one day. But I usually master complete programs and rarely have to re-edit into/onto the tape master later. I'm very curious to see what the answer is on this...

Michael Todd Thorpe
Producer/Director
KUVI TV45

2 M100i's, 1 M100HD

Return to posts index

cowcow
Derek Bruce
on Jun 14, 2006 at 11:30:46 am

Hi Floh,

Thanks for your response. My set up is very straight forward (out of SDI2 of Media100 to SDI 'in' on the deck)- most of my work is DVCAM using a Sony DSR1500AP with the SDI option fitted. I have in the past gone through internal menu's on the decks and tried various settings with no success. I have also tried various options within Media100HD as suggested by my Media100 reseller without any success. My reseller actually has an identical deck to mine and have claimed that on some of their other clients Media100HD systems it masters correctly every time! I know that some of their Media100 customers also have the same problem as me as well as many users on the cow. I could be wrong but I can't imagine it is a deck issue as other users using everything from DVCAM, DVCPRO, DigiBeta etc are all having this issue with their mastering. I am sure most of us have a lot of experience handling and setting up decks, and its not something I have experienced before in other edit suites. My guess is that its a Media100HD software/hardware board issue, maybe only on some boards??? I am out of my depth here, so far I have worked around the problem like everyone else with the timeline adjustment - although this is not ideal so far it works, so as long V11 solves this then I am happy. If you have any ideas Floh please let me know - if there are particular deck/Media100 settings you think I should try then I'll give it a go. Well done for answering all our questions! Regards,

Derek Bruce
25th Frame Productions

Media100 HD v10.1.4
Dual 2.7 GHz Mac
6 Gig RAM
OS 10.4.5
Quicktime 7.0.4

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jun 14, 2006 at 11:40:07 am

[Derek Bruce] "My set up is very straight forward (out of SDI2 of Media100 to SDI 'in' on the deck)- most of my work is DVCAM using a Sony DSR1500AP with the SDI option fitted"

Okay, here

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Derek Bruce
on Jun 14, 2006 at 2:16:49 pm

Hi Floh, yes my Audio Output sync is set to SDI2 and I am mastering from SD timelines. Many thanks,

Derek

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]