MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Sony HVR-M10U component out...

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juanjo MoraSony HVR-M10U component out...
by on Jun 5, 2006 at 9:40:09 pm

Hi guys!

I'm trying to get a downconverted analog component signal from a Sony HVR-M10U (HDV) into analog component Media100 HD, to no avail.

If I connect the HDV deck directly to an analog component monitor the signal does not sychronize or looks wierd: strange colors and setup.

The manual is incredibly ambiguous about this(or maybe I'm too dumb), and in other forums -here and elsewhere- people only mention running into the same problems but don't offer a workaround, some suggest getting a converter but don't say what kind of converter or what task should it have to do.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Sony HVR-M10U component out...
by on Jun 6, 2006 at 9:32:21 am

I shoot on HDV and edit in HD BUT you won't get your HDV signal directly into Media !00. HDV is not true HD and you have to convert your signal. The only way to do this is through one of the special converters made by Miranda or Convergent Design. I use the HD-Connect by Convergent Design and it works perfectly. I go firewire from the HVR-M10 deck and then SDI (in HD) from the converter and edit in 8 bit uncompressed. You can't go in reverse from the box so you have to master from Media 100 either to HDCAM or SD through SDI only, no firewire out yet from Media 100 HD.

For monitoring I still use my Sony PVM 14M, S Video from the deck, component from Media 100, and although the pictures are great they are not HD, therefore not necessarily accurate.

The conversion to DV from the Sony deck gives good pictures too but there is no way to get them into Media 100 HD because the component out is only for HDV and as I said there is no firewire to Media 100 HD. You are trying to put HDV down your component to Media 100 and it won't go!!

Return to posts index

Bobby MosaediRe: Sony HVR-M10U component out...
by on Jun 6, 2006 at 3:54:16 pm

The sony deck you have can do a downconvert through analog. make sure your settings are set to NTSC 480i. Then you can connect to your media 100 HD's component SD video input and digitize from there.

Return to posts index

J JordanRe: Sony HVR-M10U component out...
by on Jun 9, 2006 at 4:35:37 am

True Dat!

It took me forever to figure out that in the Down Convert menu you have 3 settings for component out.
Media 100 will only accept 480i.

I noticed that if you down convert throught the (i-link) firewire cable you lose a lot of picture quality.
I reccomend using the component adapter cables that come with the camera. It looks pretty darn good.
Not original HDV quality but close.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved