MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100HD - 10bit Uncompressed to MPEG-2 HD File?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
Michael C.Media 100HD - 10bit Uncompressed to MPEG-2 HD File?
by on Jun 2, 2006 at 10:45:54 am

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do this...

Client wants an uncompressed .mov file to do a software HD mpeg-2 encode of a 16 minute show we did all in HD 1080i.

We tested 10 seconds of a "self contained" movie (they're ok downloading the M100 codec) and we calculate the full show to end up being 1.5 tb in size. That's terrabytes!!

I'm not sure that quicktime can handle that even if the G5 dual 2.7 can. Not sure how we'd transfer a file that big either... I guess a really expensive drive.

Basically, my question is: Is this feasable? Is that just too much HD for the M100HD to export? Will quicktime choke on it? Any file transfering suggestions?

I have FCP's Compressor 2 and BitVice, but I don't know much about BitVice and think it won't do HD mpegs anyway. I tested the encode with this software product's demo: http://www.digigami.com/megapeg/howtobuy.php It seemed to work with no problems. But that was on a small file. I'm just trying to figure out any issues I might have before I have them...

...thanks for any tips from anyone who has done this (or not).

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Media 100HD - 10bit Uncompressed to MPEG-2 HD File?
by on Jun 2, 2006 at 11:20:08 am

If you could do the compression on the machine that has the media100 HD system on it, then you could do a ref file export to the compression software.

Bearing in mind the issues you've raised over file size and cost of a physical drive to put it on, it would probably be cheaper & easier to buy whatever software the client was intending to use and do the compression yourself.

Is that possible?

Return to posts index

Michael C.Re: Media 100HD - 10bit Uncompressed to MPEG-2 HD File?
by on Jun 2, 2006 at 11:29:21 am

Well, yeah... and that's what I'm considering. They aren't sure what software they're using yet. They're trying to do it for as cheap as possible.

I'm not sure I want to get into the encoding business (just because I don't know a lot of the technical details). I also don't know what a fair rate for software encoding is and worry about time consuming troubleshooting and re-encoding.

But the software I linked to above is what I'm considering getting. I'd actually prefer a hardware encoder for HD mpeg encoding, but again... not sure if I want to get into that.

But I am considering trying to figure this one out because of the fact that I can use a reference file.

Return to posts index

Stephen BullRe: Media 100HD - 10bit Uncompressed to MPEG-2 HD File?
by on Jun 2, 2006 at 1:35:17 pm

Hi Michael,

1.5TB seems a lot for only 16 mins of uncompressed HD.

We have been capturing uncompressed 1080i into Media 100 HD at approx 500GB per hour. Bearing this in mind i would estimate you would be looking at approx 125-150GB for your 16 minute show, which should fit onto a portable hard drive for delivery to your client.

Hope this helps

Steve

Return to posts index

cowcow
by on Jun 2, 2006 at 4:47:27 pm

That sounds better, but how are you doing that math?

The way I got to the 1.5tb number was that I exported a self-contained M100HD file from our 1080i timeline. It was exactly 10 seconds in length and size ended up being 1.58 GB.

Is my math wrong? Have you exported a long HD file as a self-contained movie, or are you talking about the size when media 100 captures something in real-time?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2006 at 6:10:11 pm

WHOA!!! Now that's what I get for doing my math at 3:45am. :(

OK... I now am expecting a 150gb file... not 1.5 tb... Much, much better and more manageable.

oops.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Media 100HD - 10bit Uncompressed to MPEG-2 HD File?
by on Jun 3, 2006 at 8:42:10 am

I exported 29 minutes of 8 bit uncompressed HD to a LaCie firewire drive and it took up 167 of the available 250 Gigs. Took two hours to do it!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 4, 2006 at 7:16:59 am

Thanks for the real world info Michael...

On that note, does anyone know if 10bit would make a difference considering it will end up an mpeg 2 hd file?

also, do you imagine 10bit being A LOT more time on that export, or just a fraction more time?

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Michael SloweRe: Media 100HD - 10bit Uncompressed to MPEG-2 HD File?
by on Jun 4, 2006 at 9:47:34 am

Michael C, this might be the blind leading the blind here but I do remember seeing a chart somewhere and there was a big difference in drive requirements between 8 and 10 bit uncompressed. I read in the Media 100 HD manual (page 2-15) that a 10 bit image carries 4 times more data per channel than an 8 bit image so it all depends on whether your system can handle it.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Media 100HD - 10bit Uncompressed to MPEG-2 HD File?
by on Jun 4, 2006 at 12:49:29 pm

[Michael Slowe] "I read in the Media 100 HD manual (page 2-15) that a 10 bit image carries 4 times more data per channel than an 8 bit image so it all depends on whether your system can handle it."

While a 10 bit image has 4 times the resolution of an 8 bit image (1024 values for each color channel/pixel instead of 256) it only needs 25% more drive space and performance. Usually it should not make a big difference for going to MPEG, but it can if you e.g. want to colorcorrect the footage.

Return to posts index

cowcow
by on Jun 5, 2006 at 3:06:44 pm

I think I'll be using the M100 to do any minor color correctiong (if necessary) since the sources have all already been color corrected (they're a myriad of feature film).

I don't think drive performance on the client's end will be an issue since they're just doing a software encode of the file... They won't have to play it back realtime before it has been made into an mpeg-2 hd file.

We just finished another project in 10bit M100HD but went to tape (and then a color correction session outside) and our drives have handled it with no problems. But wow... uncompressed hd sure takes up a lot of space... especially if you've got a few effects to render.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]