MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Any Problems with dual 1.25 or 1.42 macs or SATA raids with sonnet cards?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
topher944Any Problems with dual 1.25 or 1.42 macs or SATA raids with sonnet cards?
by on May 28, 2006 at 7:41:08 pm

I'm thinking of replacing my single 867 with a newer dual 1.25 or 1.42 - Does anyone have any "beware of" experiences? Any overheat issues? I'm running OS 10.3.9 and M100 8.2.2 I need faster render times from boris/AE etc. Also with a new job requiring exstensive storage I'm contemplating a "roll your own sata" with 2.5TB from MacGurus and a Sonnet Tempo X4P PCI-X card. Are there any issues with M100. The compatible peripheral guide on the M100 website is 2 years old. Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge! Chris

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Any Problems with dual 1.25 or 1.42 macs or SATA raids with sonnet cards?
by on May 28, 2006 at 11:34:25 pm

Hi Chris,

I went from a single 867 G4 to a Dual 1.42 G4 with no problems regarding heat etc. As regards to speeding up things, the difference you will notice in render times for things rendered through media 100 won't be that great as the vincent card is the bottleneck. It is faster, but not by much (In my experience anyway).

Obviously things that work outside of Media 100 like AE, Cleaner, Bitvice etc are much faster.

As regards the sonnet card, I know very little about them, but am pretty sure that a PCI-X card won't fit into a G4.

Hope that helps!

K

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
FlohRe: Any Problems with dual 1.25 or 1.42 macs or SATA raids with sonnet cards?
by on May 29, 2006 at 6:14:45 am

[topher944] "I'm thinking of replacing my single 867 with a newer dual 1.25 or 1.42 - Does anyone have any "beware of" experiences? Any overheat issues? I'm running OS 10.3.9 and M100 8.2.2 I need faster render times from boris/AE etc"

You will see some big UI/workflow speed ups with such a dual-CPU system. But one thing you should consider is that a new DualCore G5 plus a Media 100 SDe will give you the newest technology (multilayering in the timeline in realtime and extremely fast rendering times inside Media 100) for maybe not that much more money.

[topher944] "Also with a new job requiring exstensive storage I'm contemplating a "roll your own sata" with 2.5TB from MacGurus and a Sonnet Tempo X4P PCI-X card. Are there any issues with M100"

We did test the Tempo X SATA 4+4 some time ago in a dual 1GHz and had no problems with Media100. This was a short test only, just to see if the system did work with the board. The newer X4P will work inside a G4, since the PCI-X cards are backwards compatible, but I cannot tell if it will work with Media 100, althought I would guess it should without problems.

Return to posts index

cowcow
topher944Re: Any Problems with dual 1.25 or 1.42 macs or SATA raids with sonnet cards?
by on May 29, 2006 at 4:34:59 pm

Thanks Floh! I'll be jumping into a fullblown hd M100 the moment they integrate multicam function and xmf file capabilities. This is a small stopgap until then. Then the dual g4 will become a very nice 2nd m100 bay!

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Any Problems with dual 1.25 or 1.42 macs or SATA raids with sonnet cards?
by on May 29, 2006 at 4:38:38 pm

[topher944] "Thanks Floh! I'll be jumping into a fullblown hd M100 the moment they integrate multicam function and xmf file capabilities."

There are two nice Multicam scripts available for HD and sw (unfortunately not for Media 100 i, since the underlying AppleScript commands were implemented into HD for my scripts) that allow some basic multicam editing. We

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]