MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Why is my S-video output better than DV?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome RobbinsWhy is my S-video output better than DV?
by on May 26, 2006 at 4:07:34 pm

I just did a Master to Tape output of some video from Media 100i to miniDV tape in a Sony DSR-11 deck. My hardware settings were on DV. When finished I noticed the footage looked darker, dark green had become black, dark brown was black, detail in the shadows was gone. I picked a section to re-do in DV and then a did the same section using the S-vido Hardware settings and going into the deck from the Timeline output with the S-video into the Sony deck. In the visual comparison the s-video tape images had detail in the shadows, the dark green was dark green etc. The Analog was superior to the Digital!!

I have always used the Master to Tape with the DV connection and setting expecting it to be the best as it is digital to digital. But from this experiment it looks like the DV is not better.

Has anyone else found this to be true? I guess I should start making my final output using the S-video/Analog from now on.

jerome

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Why is my S-video output better than DV?
by on May 26, 2006 at 4:14:22 pm

Are you in NTSC or PAL land? It sounds like the usual NTSC/Setup problem. Since we are working in PAL I don

Return to posts index

Jerome RobbinsRe: Why is my S-video output better than DV?
by on May 26, 2006 at 4:57:57 pm

I am in NTSC. So, you have heard of this problem before.

jerome

Return to posts index

Daniel ERe: Why is my S-video output better than DV?
by on May 30, 2006 at 8:34:34 pm

Check your bars when you look at playback coming out of the DSR-11. If you have been monitoring in analog with set-up at 7.5 your DV tapes from firewire will look dark as they are recorded at 0 set up through the firewire. When you set up your monitor to 0 set up your 7.5 stuff will look greyish. This is a common issue. Technically the quality of the firewire should be better but your monitoring makes it look worse since the DRS-11 doesn't ass set up and the Media 100 can. The set up is only on the analog out not the firewire.

Daniel Epstein
Gold Teleproductions, Inc
New York, NY
http://www.goldtele.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]