MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Mastering HD From Media 100 HD

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael SloweMastering HD From Media 100 HD
by on May 26, 2006 at 9:09:31 am

In order to avoid the hassle and expense of renting an HDCAM deck (they are all in Germany for the World Cup!), I have put a completed 30 minute production on to a LaCie d2 FireWire Hard Drive in the hope that I can take the drive to a production house here in London for a transfer to HDCAM tape. The production was edited on Media 100 HD version 10.1.3 and the LaCie confirms that we have the following:

Quick Time Movie
167.78 GB on Disk
(180, 154, 597, 312 Bytes)
Volumes / 250 GB Firewire
1920 x 1080
29 mins 37 secs.

My question is will any production house with an HDCAM deck be able to take this off or would they need the Media 100 codec? The ones I have spoken to were a bit vague because they didn't have Media 100. It seems to me a neat way of getting a tape master but the export to the drive took 3 hours! Whilst writing can I also ask whether the time BitVice took to encode this production for DVD (SD) burning is right. For a double pass encode it took 8 hours, sounds odd to me! VBR at an average of 6.025.

Any expert advice would be much appreciated. Mastering and disrtibution of HD is still in its infancy but it seems sensible to archive in HD before losing the media off editing drives.

Return to posts index

cowcow
FlohRe: Mastering HD From Media 100 HD
by on May 26, 2006 at 9:20:26 am

[Michael Slowe] "My question is will any production house with an HDCAM deck be able to take this off or would they need the Media 100 codec?"

The question is in what codec you did export it to. Did you do a "Self Contained" export? Then the company needs the Media 100 codecs, since the material is in its native codec. Or did you use another codec? Then they need that codec on their system to play it out. Most likely they need to convert it anyway to get realtime playback of HD material to a "native" codec on their editing system.
The additional question you need to deal with is what RGB colorspace the system uses that does the mastering. Media 100 does use a RGB 16-235 colorspace for their legal ranges, so it is possible that the videos contrast needs to be stretched depending on which equipment they use.
I think the best option would be to either rent a HDCam deck or send the drive to a company that has Media 100 HD and a HDCam deck for mastering.This way you can be sure that the video on tape looks as you would expect. If you want you can contact me directly, since we have the hardware you need ;-)

[Michael Slowe] "For a double pass encode it took 8 hours, sounds odd to me! VBR at an average of 6.025."
This is completely possible, since BitVice needs to not only read HD material which is slower than SD per se, but it also needs to do a high-quality scale-down to SD resolution. Obviously this operation needs some time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]