MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

M100HD Fast Importing of Quicktime... Quesion:

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael C.M100HD Fast Importing of Quicktime... Quesion:
by on May 25, 2006 at 10:11:04 pm

I have a client giving me a bunch of quicktime .mp4 files as reference to make a cut. These are only for reference, and we'll eventually rebuild using masters.

Everytime I import the .mp4 files, the M100 creates files (that are exponentially larger)...

Is there ANY way to simply fast import these files without creating new ones?

They are .mp4 in the H.264 codec (with AAC audio). The dimensions are usually around 620x480.

I'm not concerned with maintaining aspect ratio for now, I just want to speed up the import of all these files and not be recreating files when I don't need to.

For example, an original .mp4 file of 1:30 is only 11.3 mbs. When I import it into the m100 at 45kb it balloons to over 120 mb.

Is there a way to do this?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
SoftHarborRe: M100HD Fast Importing of Quicktime... Quesion:
by on May 26, 2006 at 2:14:36 am

You're not going to be able to work with h.264 files directly in Media 100 HD. I don't know if any NLE could handle it.
What if you set your media settings to the Media 100 i codec at some pretty low framerate?

Return to posts index

Michael C.Re: M100HD Fast Importing of Quicktime... Quesion:
by on May 26, 2006 at 4:03:40 pm

The other option is to get them in the MPEG-4 video codec... Would that ever fast import?

Return to posts index

SoftHarborRe: M100HD Fast Importing of Quicktime... Quesion:
by on May 26, 2006 at 8:05:09 pm

Ever is a long time, but it won't help you now.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: M100HD Fast Importing of Quicktime... Quesion:
by on May 27, 2006 at 11:12:17 am

An update on my problem, thanks for the suggestions fellows. I wanted to keep the quality as uncompressed HD because this is really for archiving although I would like to get tape copies in addition to the SD DVD's taken off (through BitVice).

I have had no luck so far with any production house able to take HDCAM off my drive. They either don't have Media 100 or an HDCAM deck - these seem very thin on the ground in England! I am making progress with once more renting one but as explained earlier I wanted to save the hassle and risk of further hernias!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]