MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

How can I turn a video clip upside down? I have Boris RED.

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome Robbins
How can I turn a video clip upside down? I have Boris RED.
on May 23, 2006 at 6:44:37 am

I transfer old 8mm film and edit for family histories. One reel has torn sprocket holes that make the film visually chatter and it is really unviewable. I wound the film on a reel backwards and upsidedown. When I run it for the transfer it looks steady as the damaged sprocket holes are now on the other side of the feeder.

The problem is getting the footage back to normal viewing. I use Media100 as my NLE, so I can reverse the footage. I have Boris RED. Is it possible to turn the footage upside down, which would actually be rightside up?

Thanks for any ideas.

jerome

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
Re: How can I turn a video clip upside down? I have Boris RED.
on May 23, 2006 at 12:04:08 pm

Hi Jerome,

Yep, flipping the image is easy with RED. Just lay your (reversed) clip on a timeline. Drag a RED comp or title over the top and hit edit. In RED, create a new video track, then use the rotation tools to correct the problem. Set an "X" tumble of 180 to flip the image. If you also need to flop the image, you can then use a "Y" Spin of 180.

As it is a RED comp it will take a long time to render. After it is finished, you might want to "render range to bin" to fix the effect so moving/editing won't lose the flip.

Hope that helps
K

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on May 23, 2006 at 12:15:01 pm

[Jerome Robbins] "The problem is getting the footage back to normal viewing. I use Media100 as my NLE, so I can reverse the footage. I have Boris RED. Is it possible to turn the footage upside down, which would actually be rightside up?"

An option would be to get Media 100 sw (e.g. the free trial version), which does this in realtime for playback, and if you want to render this effect it will be pretty quick. Or import your footage into RED, filp it there and render it through as a long movie for editing.

Return to posts index

Michael C.
on May 24, 2006 at 5:25:55 am

Yeah... I'd do this in M100sw... Obviously, the realtime effect is key, but even if you have to render I think it will be faster there than in Boris.

Return to posts index

Jerome Robbins
I turned a video clip upside down with Boris RED.
on May 25, 2006 at 2:42:59 pm

Thanks for the advice and steps to take. The 25 minute clip took 2 hours to render in Media 100 to reverse it and then 5 hours in RED to flip it, but it worked perfectly. This is a very powerful capability I have available to me and I am now aware of it.

thanks,
Jerome

jerome

Return to posts index

Jerome Robbins
I wanted to edit out a few spots but its too late now.
on May 25, 2006 at 2:53:22 pm

One other thing.
I wanted to edit out a few seconds in several spots. When I try to plit a composition to cut out something I will lose the entire transition and have to re-render again.
I guess I should have edited first and then treated each section as a seperate flip and render.
any other comments on this?

thanks!

jerome

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: I wanted to edit out a few spots but its too late now.
by
on May 25, 2006 at 3:22:57 pm

Here

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Jerome Robbins
Thanks for the timesaver Floh!
on May 26, 2006 at 12:17:43 am

Thank you so much!! What a time saver.

What I did in the meantime was mastered the program to tape then I digitized it back in to a bin, put it on the timeline, edited and then mastered back out to tape again.

I noticed that it looked a bit dark and contrasty though. So, when I followed your directions and imported the original rendered file for editing, I compared the quality of the two versions. The edit from the original was much better so I mastered it to tape for the final.

thanks again,
jerome

jerome

Return to posts index

Michael C.
Re: I wanted to edit out a few spots but its too late now.
on May 26, 2006 at 5:41:36 pm

Another trick is to drag that rendered file into a bin.

Once in the bin select your settings and make sure you enable "source media file". Then you can double click on that file name in your bin and it will open a finder window to the location of that file. Double click it again and it will highlight the file for you. Then you can do as floh says and drag that file right back into your bin and it is a real-time file for you to do with as you please...

...just a quick way to find files you've rendered in your timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]