MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Need Help

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Allen
Need Help
on May 16, 2006 at 5:54:36 pm

It has been requested that I supply stills from my video footage at the best possible quality. I would think that a full frame would render the best results. How do I insure that I am not pulling an upper or lower field to print the image. Can I pull the entire frame? Would this be the best approach? How do I do it in version 8.1? Any tips to insure best quality?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Need Help
by
on May 16, 2006 at 6:02:48 pm

[Mike Allen] "How do I insure that I am not pulling an upper or lower field to print the image. Can I pull the entire frame?"

If you export from Media 100 as a single frame/still it exports always the full frame and not a field. But, since a full video frame always is based on 2 fields you can get irritating field lines in areas with much motion. The best way to check would be to open your exported image in Photoshop and look for jagged lines. In Photoshop you can use the "De-Interlace" filter to partially (in a selection) or completely remove one of the fields, interpolating between the remaining lines. And you should apply a "Levels" filter with input black set to 16 and Input White set to 235 to compensate the video levels headroom from Media 100 i V8.X (and all Media 100 versions except 10.1.4)
But unfortunately the video resolution is not that good for stills...

Return to posts index

Mike Allen
on May 16, 2006 at 6:35:48 pm

Thanks Floh!!

Return to posts index

Mark Frazier
on May 17, 2006 at 8:29:08 pm

Here's an interesting trick I learned at a Photoshop seminar:

If you need to enlarge your video freeze (after following Floh's advice), use your "image size" function and set to 110%. (By increasing your image by that small amount, Photoshop will "fix" the pixels, and it won't appear "blocky".) Repeat until it's whatever size you need. Or better yet, set a function key to do the action to speed up the process.

I didn't believe it, either, until I got back to the office and tried it.

Enjoy.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]