MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

new M100 hardware/software...

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tPIXnew M100 hardware/software...
by on May 14, 2006 at 1:24:44 pm

If I buy the new M100 with the AJA hardware...will FCP be able to use that hardware?

If not, I will not purchase (upgrade to) the new M100.
If so, I will purchase (upgrade to) the new M100

As I'm sure it is with many M100 owners, we are also using FCP. I do offlines and onlines. I prefer the m100 for offline content cutting - it is still the fastest cleanest interface, and great for dialogue editing.

About 2/3 of my onlines are in FCP from my clients. I prefer to online in FCP because of the more advanced colour correction tools. FCP is a sweet piece of software, but it is buggy.

If I will need to buy a 2nd AJA card to work with FCP...I will choose to offline on my p6000, and do all of my advanced work in FCP.

So what I'm saying here is that if M100 decides to not allow FCP to see their OEM AJA hardware, and not allow FCP to be used on their OEM AJA hardware, then the folks at M100 have missed the mark...

...again.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: new M100 hardware/software...
by on May 14, 2006 at 2:58:43 pm

As you say, I think most Media 100 users are hoping that we can finally have universal hardware / cpus and be able to choose the interface to suit the particular job in hand, be it Media 100, FCP or whatever. This level playing field can only benefit Boris/Media100 in the long run.

That said, from the early noises from Media 100 (and they are just early noises) regarding the situation, they are rightly or wrongly only interested in delivering the Media 100 driver for the OEM hardware at this stage and getting the new line-up to market. Whether this situation will change is anybody's guess.

What I am hoping for is that AJA themselves will step in to provide the missing drivers/ flash upgrdades that will allow the OEM hardware to work with FCP et al. Whether this will be allowed under the agreement they have with Media 100 remains to be seen.

Let's hope Media 100 doesn't drop the ball .... again.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: new M100 hardware/software...
by on May 14, 2006 at 4:59:56 pm

Okay, here are some observations, without any inside knowledge if this is true or not.

The initial press release posted here on the cow about the new hardware lineup said: "...With the power of AJA's Kona 3 video capture card and the easy to use Media 100 interface,..." and "...Video capture is provided by AJA?s Kona LHe board..."
This press release was pulled and replaced with a new one, only saying "Leveraging the performance of the AJA OEM solutions allows our engineering resources to focus on enhancing Media 100 features and performance while maintaining the high quality of customer service and support."

Based on this release and some other observations I guess that from a hardware side the similar Aja boards, may they be named Kona, Xena or OEM are the same. I would guess that it does not make sense to change the board layout between PCs and Macs, and between FCP and Media 100. But since Aja works closely together with Apple in working on the hardware drivers for the Kona boards I would guess that only the boards sold for FCP can use the "Kona" brand.
The initial press release shows that at least the OEM boards are closely related to the Kona boards, and if there is not a different firmware on them (I doubt that) I would guess that you technically could use them both for Media 100 and FCP.
The problem could be the drivers for the hardware. I could imagine that it is not that easy to have both the Kona drivers and the Media 100 drivers for the hardware on the same system. But as soon as these systems are shipping we will find out more. Maybe it is possible to use them in a dual-boot configuration for Media 100 and FCP with their drivers on a separate partition.

And I would guess, if FCP cannot run on the same installation as Media 100 HD, this is not something that Media 100 does to prevent you from doing this, this probably is something that either Apple or Aja wants not to happen. Aside from technical reasons, company rules are also involved in this business...

Return to posts index

Arthur DentRe: new M100 hardware/software...
by on May 15, 2006 at 2:43:26 pm

From what I understand from a few conversations with M100 is that they (m100) had to write their own drivers for the OEM AJA hardware, and that therefore m100 does not (read can not) include the AJA software with their product.

m100 remains pretty tight lipped as to whether you can, or cannot run FCP on top of the same hardware. I sincerely doubt we'll see M100 testing that config at all. And who knows if there is a firm ware difference between the OEM hardware and the FCP stuff. (we won't know until m100 ships and some one tries it)

I sincerely doubt that M100 does anything to the board to prevent using FCP on the hardware - more it's a question of whether AJA will allow for this.

On a side note, I'm often baffled by how eager people are to blame m100 for everything that doesn't go in the direction that they think is right and propper. Let's not be so reactionary folks. I personally believe that m100 is back on the right path, perhaps still behind the curve on some major features. Sure they've made some very bad descision in the past as m100 inc, or Optibase, but they appear to be heading in the right direction again (IMHO).

Return to posts index

tPIXRe: new M100 hardware/software...
by on May 15, 2006 at 5:30:37 pm

I will not invest in the new m100 if it does not work with fcp...sorry boris.

I can say for sure that my colleagues who still work with M100 would not either...sorry boris

Return to posts index

David C.Re: new M100 hardware/software...
by on May 16, 2006 at 3:34:14 pm

The Media 100 software will only work with the OEM solutions from AJA. AJA ships a different driver for the OEM solutions and as far as I know AJA does not ship an OEM driver and hardware solution for FCP.

You need to look at this as two different products, Media 100 works with AJA OEM Hardware and the AJA OEM driver, and Final Cut Pro works with a different series of hardware (Kona 3 etc...). The products that are delivered from AJA are different.

We do not have the same relationship with AJA as Apple does, therefore we are offering a different product alltogether. While the product seems the same to you because the hardware is similar, it is not. Our agreement with AJA is not to ship the same drivers and hardware that works with FCP.

Dave

Return to posts index

Chris ZwarRe: new M100 hardware/software...
by on May 17, 2006 at 12:01:01 am

This is extremely disappointing news.

You say that we need to look at Media 100 and FCP as two different products... well as a freelancer I can say that everyone I work with everywhere already sees them as two different products: Media 100 is old & dead and FCP is the way to go.

Around the facilities I work in, the recent press release and mention of AJA created a small flurry of interest and optimism that Media 100 and FCP could co-exist on the same machine, the first time I've seen interest in Media 100 for years. I'm really sorry that these hopes have been dashed, and from my experiences I can't imagine any facility spending on a new Media 100 system. I'm sure some will, but there is such a strong tide flowing the way of FCP that it's hard to see Media 100 resisting for long.

Last week I was at a facility where the system hard-drive died on an operational Media 100XR. Justifying only

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: new M100 hardware/software...
by on May 17, 2006 at 9:16:16 am

A shame indeed.

The speed and simplicity of M100 and the power of FCP when you need it, all running on the same system with the same hardware. Perhaps
Media 100 nedd to rethink their strategy bearing in mind lost potential sales to the vast FCP community.

Return to posts index

edunwodyRe: new M100 hardware/software...
by on May 17, 2006 at 9:52:30 am

I think everyone has been saying its a AJA thing. Not Media 100 thing.

Elliott

Bright Blue Sky Productions
4811 Rivoli Dr
Macon, GA 31210

http://www.brightbluesky.com

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: new M100 hardware/software...
by on May 17, 2006 at 11:04:17 am

It is clear from this community that there is a desire to run FCP and Media 100 on the same "seat". But, however vocal we might be, perhaps we are merely one section of media 100's potential market.

The new line up, is lets face it a huge leap forward and a sound foundation for the future of the company none of us want to see disappear. The comments we have made are not meant to suggest that the hard work and technical accomplishments have been in vain.

That said, the issue, at least for some of us, still remains. But perhaps there is an alternative strategy (maybe one that M100 still has up its sleeve)

Would it be possible to adapt Media 100 SW to run with standard AJA quicktime drivers ? That way instead of trying to run FCP on a turn key Media 100 system, Media 100 could be run on a Kona based FCP system. I appreciate that such a system would probably be locked to the Apple RGB colourspace and as such would present issues when used in conjunction with other media 100 products, but such issues are not insurmountable.

Other vendors products (Discreet Combustion, After Effects etc) run on Kona hardware alongside FCP, so it is at least technically possible, isn't it?

Such a scenario would allow many of us, adrift in the growing sea of FCP, to contiune using and supporting the system we love whilst Boris/Media 100 rebuilds the brand.

Return to posts index

Jay BurnhamRe: new M100 hardware/software...
by on May 18, 2006 at 3:34:52 am

I've read all of these post and I feel one point is missing... I think. If you were Apple or even AJA, would you want a long standing, recently refocused product (M100 HD)to come in and step on your toes? Does Apple want M100 on the same machine as their FCP? Does AJA want to jeapordize their long standing relationship with Apple by allowing M100 to run on the same machine?

I guess my point is, lets not all make this M100's (Boris) fault. They are trying to turn a ship around that Optibase ran ashore soon after taking the helm.

This post is somewhat driven by apples move to not make DVD Studio Pro available as a standalone product anymore... you have to buy the FCP Studio to get new versions of DVDSP... :(

thats if for my deep thoughts...

Return to posts index

Matty O'toolRe: new M100 hardware/software...
by on May 18, 2006 at 8:56:50 pm

It totally makes sense that AJA would not want the OEM hardware(this implies some sort of exclusive partnership for this particular board) to be "Multi-purpose". I'm assuming that AJA wants to sell MORE hardware, and not one board that runs 2 or 3 apps. While the KONA branded cards do this ( althought you might notice only one "editing" app runs on the Kona) none of the other AJA OEM hardware has these capabilities. Yup thats right, AJA OEMs hardware for a few other companies too. Media100 just made the mistake of letting you know it was AJA hardware. Holding Media100 or AJA or Apple responsible for this is silly, they are all trying to make money. The fact that some are saying Media100 missed the mark is just wrong, perhaps they didn't make the desision to keep other apps off the hardware, it is possible that the decision was made for them.

-Reason

Return to posts index

Matty O'toolRe: new M100 hardware/software...
by on May 18, 2006 at 8:57:06 pm

It totally makes sense that AJA would not want the OEM hardware(this implies some sort of exclusive partnership for this particular board) to be "Multi-purpose". I'm assuming that AJA wants to sell MORE hardware, and not one board that runs 2 or 3 apps. While the KONA branded cards do this ( althought you might notice only one "editing" app runs on the Kona) none of the other AJA OEM hardware has these capabilities. Yup thats right, AJA OEMs hardware for a few other companies too. Media100 just made the mistake of letting you know it was AJA hardware. Holding Media100 or AJA or Apple responsible for this is silly, they are all trying to make money. The fact that some are saying Media100 missed the mark is just wrong, perhaps they didn't make the desision to keep other apps off the hardware, it is possible that the decision was made for them.

-Reason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]