MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

HDV footage captured in FINAL CUT?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael C.HDV footage captured in FINAL CUT?
by on May 11, 2006 at 11:56:55 pm

Is there a way to quick import this footage in the HDV format to the M100? (It is HDV 1440x1080... 29.97)...

media 100HD wants to "upconvert" it to uncompressed HD 8bit or 10 bit... I suppose I could go with draft to save space... but I want to save the inport time.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: HDV footage captured in FINAL CUT?
by on May 12, 2006 at 5:33:59 pm

I use the Convergent Design HD-Connect to digitize into Media 100 HD and I edit in 8bit uncompressed. Yes, it does need a lot of storage drives!

Return to posts index

Bobby MosaediRe: HDV footage captured in FINAL CUT?
by on May 15, 2006 at 9:01:22 pm

I used MPEG streamclip group all my files together and export them out to Media 100HD 8 bit uncompressed. im not sure what media100 does when "updating video media files" im guessing it is seperating the video into fields.

Return to posts index

Michael C.Re: HDV footage captured in FINAL CUT?
by on May 18, 2006 at 5:10:23 am

doesn't that export take a long time?

The spaces is a pain, yes, since it is only HDV, but the biggest problem is the time.

Is there such thing as a firewire to SDI box so you could take it into the m100 realtime? And what is the compression rate of "Draft"? (Better than HDV?!?)

At a certain point we'll get multiple HD resolutions, so the space issue will go away. and eventually HDV support...

I finally just tried editing the stuff together in FCP, but I don't know how to work that program... Even that tell's me that the footage I took in with it is "unrendered" or it plays in a small box.

Return to posts index

Matty O'toolRe: HDV footage captured in FINAL CUT?
by on May 19, 2006 at 9:47:43 pm

Hi guys,
Just a clarification on how HDV works. It is a form of Mpeg and it uses "I frames". With an "I Frame" every 15 frames or so depending on the brand of camera you are using.
The other frames don't exsist. So you can capture this footage directly in FCP "and retain the HDV File format, however, if you don't cut directly on an I frame you must render the clip in FCP. I have found that it is best (just an opinion) to capture your HDV to another Codec either through M100 or final Cut (Apple intermediate codec is good). This will also allow for re-digitizing (I have not had any luck re-diging native HDV footage). At NAB I saw that Media100 has included/will be including, a new "Compressed HD" Codec that is super small (the rep told me as low as 7meg per second)and it looked fantastic.
Hope this clears some stuff up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved