MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Simple Resize on a HD 4x3 Shot?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael C.
Simple Resize on a HD 4x3 Shot?
on May 2, 2006 at 5:03:01 pm

I'm getting some older 4x3 films on an HD Reel to go into a larger HD program.

Is there a simple way to use the M100HD Aspect Conform tools to do my resize and re-framing on these particular shots? I find the M100HD tool great for going back and forth between the formats, but when staying within 1 format I'm usually forced to try Boris or AE (which never seem to look as "clean").

Is there a way to "fake out" the M100HD so I can import an HD clip into an HD timeline and still have it resize for me?

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Simple Resize on a HD 4x3 Shot?
by
on May 2, 2006 at 5:09:26 pm

[Michael C.] "I'm getting some older 4x3 films on an HD Reel to go into a larger HD program."

The regular HD formats are 16:9. So how are the clips delivered if they are 4:3? With black bars at the sides? Or with a wrong pixel aspect ratio? On tape or on disk?

Return to posts index

Michael C.
on May 2, 2006 at 5:28:45 pm

Hi Floh...

These are classic films originally in the 1:33 Aspect ratio. They're coming over on tape with pillar boxes on the left and right so as to preserve the entire image.

In some cases (downconverts to SD), we will use the full frame. In HD pieces we would like to reformat the 4x3 space in to a nicely composed 16x9 image (via a resize). This way it plays seamlessly when cut next to a more modern widescreen film.

Return to posts index

Michael C.
on May 6, 2006 at 8:48:23 pm

Any ideas? The conform media works great when going from SD to HD...

But if I'm starting with the HD SD 4x3 w/ pillar boxes, how can I do the best quality push in? Is boris the only way? I wish I had "conform" media available here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]