some things i saw for myself
by Bobby Mosaedi on Apr 27, 2006 at 1:26:56 am
Well just got back from NAB. it looks promising folks, i just wish they could snap their fingers and everything be done.
Version 11 will be released in June and will be for HDx and AJA. All software features will be always available for both systems.
My favorite new feature: Ability to digitize in compressed HD... the codec is MJPEG B meaning that it is not even a proprietary m100 codec so you can just export out and have a 100% compatible quicktime ready video. no more need for an Xserve RAID anymore to do HD. YAY.
The AJA version will just be one card, as opposed to two PCI slots. There will be no more analog component in though, however, at least not on HD Suite.
Motion Path module will eventually be replaced with a boris module, so we can all rejoice in that. The buzz is that boris will be much more integrated into the Media100 software application, making me think more along the lines of 844/x-ish-type editing.
The Junction Box is considerably smaller than the HDx box, still rackmountable but maybe 1/4 the size.
Still no HDV in, just get a miranda box, it will be a while till it gets here, if it ever does.
SD Firewire IN is coming in the fall.
Each model of media 100 will be shipping with the same software, but different hardware, as opposed to the old way where all P6000's were the same and you paid for more software features only. So make sure you buy the model you ultimately want to end up with.
hopefully there will be XDCAM and P2 support soon, but from what i hear, it't not deep into development or anything.
Re: some things i saw for myself by Thomas on Apr 27, 2006 at 11:18:28 am
Great & exiting news. As an Hdx happy user i feel better hearing this. But please, people at Boris/M100, don't loose the opportunity to come back in the market with some essentials features in V11 :
1. A real match frame & JKL navigation. I don't care personnaly but an Avid editor can't work in M100 without this.
2. DV IN & OUT (you only mention DV In in your post)
3. DVC PRO HD / P2 & 24 frames timeline support.
4. OMF support (i can't believe this feature disapeared)
Wishes for future releases :
1. The ability to share the AJA hardware with different software (FCP, Premiere Pro) by acquiring the M100 license only. Huge commercial potential.
2. A real professionnal color correction tool and/or the ability to use third party plugs-ins as color finesse.