MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

NAB musings

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sformby
NAB musings
on Apr 24, 2006 at 6:24:13 am

Went to the Users Group meeting (although I was late.) Looks like three new configurations. Media 100 HD suite includes Boris Red and is $5995. Includes real-time HD to SD up and down conversions. Media 100 HDe is $3495 includes Boris FX and only does HD to SD down conversion (not up). Media 100 SDe is the standard def choice, includes Boris Graffiti for $2495. All have diff flavors of AJA OEM boards. These are PCI-express cards, so we can plump for Quad G5s now. That seems to be the big news - we can work on modern Macs.

Couldn't pin them down with any details on upgrade pricing during the meeting (not sure they have it figured out) - will go by the booth.

If I heard correctly (and I WAS busy swilling their free wine), items still on the wish list and not in 11 (i.e, the packages above) - 24p timelines, MXF support, P2 support...

Since I was late, I didn't realize the guy with the heavy accent was "the" titular Boris. I asked rather pointedly how many engineers were working on the Media 100 right now. He hemmed and hawed, but I think the final answer was around 5. It seems like the next few years will bring alot of changes - let's hope that's enough geek brain-power to keep up.

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
Re: NAB musings
on Apr 24, 2006 at 12:28:03 pm

Thanks for the info!

Did they say if it was possible to retro-fit the media 100 software to an existing set-up that was using AJA cards? i.e. if you have an FCP suite running on a Quad with one of AJA's latest, can you just buy the software?

Also was anything said about the software going universal, for the new intel Macs?

Return to posts index

David C.
on Apr 24, 2006 at 3:05:19 pm

Hi,

It certainly is technically possible to use existing AJA hardware, but right now we are concentrating on delivering the 3 products introduced at NAB based on the AJA OEM hardware and the software update for Media 100 HD (HDx) customers. The hardware drivers we use will not make this possible. We know this will be a pressing question for customers that own AJA Hardware, but right now we are not introducing a product that will work on AJA non-OEM hardware. Hopefully I will have more information on this in the future.

Dave

BorisFX-Media 100

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Apr 24, 2006 at 3:29:57 pm

Thanks for that info.

Looking at this from the other direction. Are these boards standard AJA boards or have they been altered to run with Media 100 HD? i.e. are the boards available to run other quicktime applications (such as FCP) or do they only work with M100HD?

Thanks again!

K

Return to posts index

mediator.cc
on Apr 26, 2006 at 2:00:10 pm

Can Media 100 V.11 import:
1. Media 100 Quicktime with 844/X codec without re-rendering (as Media 100 HD does) ?
2. 844/X OMF ?
3. 844/X PowerLog ?
4. Can V.11 export all of the above to 844/X ?

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Apr 26, 2006 at 3:55:15 pm

[mediator.cc] "1. Media 100 Quicktime with 844/X codec without re-rendering (as Media 100 HD does) ?"

I

Return to posts index

David C.
on Apr 24, 2006 at 2:56:17 pm

Hi,

Will are still working on upgrade pricing. There will be a promotion for sure, but I do not have the details yet. We will also announce some new platinum pricing and products in the coming weeks. Optibase discontinued most of the platinum offerings (except Technical Support 8 x 8), so we have been working to re-build these programs.

Dave
BorisFX-Media 100

Return to posts index

edunwody
on Apr 24, 2006 at 5:13:33 pm

How about rebuilding 844/X program

Elliott

Bright Blue Sky Productions
4811 Rivoli Dr
Macon, GA 31210

http://www.brightbluesky.com

Return to posts index

pacbyte
on Apr 24, 2006 at 10:21:58 pm

How about Media 100 SW?

1. When can we expect the DV I/O function?
2. Will Media 100 SW continue to be the software only version of Media 100 HD, HDe & SDe?
3. Will there be any featured specifically disabled in Media 100 SW?

Return to posts index

David C.
on Apr 25, 2006 at 1:58:53 pm

Hi,

With regard to firewire, I cannot comment on delivery, but I can tell you there is very active engineering going on within Media 100. I know this is a big request for sw customers.

Version 11 Media 100 sw will be released at the same time as the AJA OEM based products.

I'm not sure what you mean about features being disabled.

Dave

Return to posts index

edunwody
on Apr 25, 2006 at 3:07:13 pm

A a company that does not own a FCP, I am interested in their multi camera, (844/X does very well) there FRC plug in for the varicam and 24P. So the option of using Media 100 and FCP on the same card will not be offered?

Elliott

Bright Blue Sky Productions
4811 Rivoli Dr
Macon, GA 31210

http://www.brightbluesky.com

Return to posts index

David C.
on Apr 25, 2006 at 5:42:38 pm

Hi Elliot,

Not for this release. This is a very large engineering and testing effort for Media 100, so we are concentrating on V11 for AJA OEM hardware, HDx customers and Media 100 sw. We will use a different driver than the one that is used for FCP.

Dave

Return to posts index

jelliman
on Apr 25, 2006 at 6:34:24 pm

Seems like the development for Media100 is always spent on bringing out new products instead of just improving what's already out there. I just upgraded to HD which is nice, but still full of bugs. I'd sure like to know that if I purchase Platinum Support in the future that I will get my money's worth as in the past, the idea of getting free upgrades (which were seldom) was a painful and useless purchase.

The old days of Media100 had way too many products (Media100QX, LE, LX, XE, XR, XS, etc) and just talking with our sales reps, we could tell that it was too hard to keep them apart- what you were getting for what level. I know there are price points to hit, but KISS (keep it simple stupid) theory always rings true.

Jonathan

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Apr 25, 2006 at 6:41:38 pm

[jelliman] "Seems like the development for Media100 is always spent on bringing out new products instead of just improving what's already out there. I just upgraded to HD which is nice, but still full of bugs."

The V11 software Media 100 is working on will be both for the HDx hardware as well as for the "new" Aja models. So the existing users will get additional features and bugfixes with it. Plus, unfortunately Apple changed their hardware design from PCI-X to PCIe (PCI Express), which requires new boards. So it is necessary to support new hardware to be able to work with the latest Apple hardware.

Regarding the bugs: you definitely should send them via mail to Media 100 techsupport, and you also can post them here. Best would be to include a detailed description and a way to reproduce them, this will increase the likelyhood that they will get fixed soon. Only if the engineers know about the bugs and can reproduce them the chances that they will get fixed are high.

Return to posts index

jimmy mac
on Apr 26, 2006 at 12:29:30 pm

(Floh) Apple changed their hardware design from PCI-X to PCIe (PCI Express), which requires new boards.

Does that mean those of us who have a G5 with PCI-X (and expansion chassis) will not be able to use the any of the new HD systems without buying a NEW G5?

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Apr 26, 2006 at 12:43:44 pm

[jimmy mac] "Does that mean those of us who have a G5 with PCI-X (and expansion chassis) will not be able to use the any of the new HD systems without buying a NEW G5?"

The "old" HDx based systems work in the PCI-X G5s (the ones without DualCore CPUs). The "new" Aja based systems work in the new PCIe based G5s (DualCore). The "old PCI"-based PCI-X and the newer, faster PCIe are not compatible, they use completely different interfaces and slots. There is no way to use the same board in both PCI-X and PCIe systems.

Return to posts index

russt1
on Apr 25, 2006 at 9:18:55 pm

Thanks for the update. Please post more info as you get it. Those of us who are unable to get to NAB appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Al J. Marschke
on Apr 26, 2006 at 1:24:01 am

[sformby] "If I heard correctly (and I WAS busy swilling their free wine), items still on the wish list and not in 11 (i.e, the packages above) - 24p timelines, MXF support, P2 support..."

Add multicamera to the list.

Al J. Marschke
BluMars Media
Pittsburgh, PA

Return to posts index

Felix Halter
on Apr 26, 2006 at 5:17:25 am

Add analogue audio out for HD too. Is it that hard to do? I mean sw could do it!

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosaedi
on Apr 28, 2006 at 10:37:07 pm

its not an easy road ahead guys, i can tell you that. media100 will never be able to be at the same pace as media100 and avid. they just dont have enough manpower right now. hopefully sales will pick up and they will be able to hire some mroe engineers but from what i understood the main focus is making pci express compatible boards and intel compatible software. Compressed HD is also on the top of the list. firewire HDV and 24p dont seem to be at the top of the list right now.

i would have to assume avid and fcp have at least 50+ software engineers working on MXF support and 24p and every other new format. thats a lot. i doubt if media100 even has 10.

But media100 is not all to blame guys, apple must share some blame because they keep changing their hardware whenever they feel like it and like keeping it a secret until they unveil their new products. good marketing, but its terrible for developers.

as long as i can digitize and master HDSDI and have deck control, i think im gonna be in ok shape. still waiting for OMF... but im not going to bet the house on any breakthrough features being implemented by m100 soon.

Return to posts index

Al J. Marschke
on Apr 28, 2006 at 11:46:50 pm

[Bobby Mosaedi] "firewire HDV and 24p dont seem to be at the top of the list right now."

HDV & 24p are not at the top of my list either. Although firewire for SW is and MXF would be nice. 24p is a fad and HDV is a tweener format. XDCAM HD makes HDV a short pit stop. We shoot 30p for the temporal, so-called "film look". A.K.A. the look of film transferred to NTSC.

My cynical 2 cents, I feel better now.

Al J. Marschke
BluMars Media
Pittsburgh, PA

Return to posts index

sformby
on Apr 29, 2006 at 3:55:02 am

Bobby, upon pressing my original question further at the booth, its like 2 guys and some contract support. So no, its not even 10 engineers, and we can all scale our expectations accordingly. It could be a completely dead product, Optibase did their ever-lovin best to kill it. Boris seems committed, and hopefully will have some money to put behind it going forward.

Return to posts index

David C.
on May 1, 2006 at 3:19:03 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to clarify some things, I am afraid to get this discussion going, but I want to make sure the correct information is out there. We have engineering, SQA, Technical Support, and a technician to help with hardware repair and operations here at Media 100 division of BorisFX, all are full-time staff. We are all working on making the next version of Media 100. Plus the BorisFX part of the company has many engineering, SQA and support staff. Some of whom have already (and continue) contributed to the next version of Media 100. Between just me and the engineering staff alone there is 40 years of development experience on the products. That goes a long way to helping make the product. The mission here is get on new hardware, improve the Media 100 HD (hdx) product, honor and start new platinum services, firewire and Intel (for the new Macs if/when they are announced).

Dave

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosaedi
on May 1, 2006 at 8:29:09 pm

I do feel much better about Boris and their commitment to reviving the media100 as a major player in the NLE arena ,but how much longer is it going to be when m100 can go head to head against the media composers and FCP systems? 2 years? 3 years?

by 2008 most post houses and/or boutiques will have already made their NLE choice decision by then and it will be too little too late. After going to this NAB, i see no reason why we should wait on making a decision regarding the format we will be shooting and editing on for the next several years. We are totally sold on XDCAM HD now and want to take advantage of its new features. its a new era with these cards and discs and clip-importing capabilities. Media100 is just the same old i/o hardware in new clothes. linear acquisition and mastering. We are buying one final cut system with a kona3 to see what the hype is all about. There is nothing for us to get excited about anymore except MJPEGB capturing. 24P, MJPEG, DV, HDV and mxf support must be implemented into media100HD within the next year or im afraid this system is doomed.

jmho

We will keep our media100 HD and i systems, but they will all take a backseat now to a final cut system with all the bells and whistles. if m100 bounces back, we'll happily sell the FCP system and buy more media100s. i really really want media100 to come back strong!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]