MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

iFinish - Master to Tape won't work properly with RS422

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GrmWnriFinish - Master to Tape won't work properly with RS422
by on Apr 19, 2006 at 10:03:12 am

Hi everybody,

I'm using an ancient iFinish V80 4.5. Don't laugh, it does the job and I'm on a budget :) Now, I've been having one problem: The Master to Tape function won't work properly for me whatsoever when using RS422, and never did (previously that wasn't a problem for me, but now I need it badly...). In both Assemble and Insert mode, the tape prerolls and then iFinish gives me a "Cannot complete command... The tape is not moving." error. The thing is, both capture control via 422 and mastering to tape via DV work fine. Is there anyone here who knows what the problem might be? I suspect my cables could be a bit dodgy, but then capture control wouldn't work either, or so I think... Oh, the deck I'm trying to control is a Panasonic DVCPRO AJ-D750 (but it doesn't work with a Beta SP BVW-75P either).

Thanks in advance,

GrmWnr

Return to posts index

FlohRe: iFinish - Master to Tape won't work properly with RS422
by on Apr 19, 2006 at 2:18:00 pm

Are you trying to insert or assemble to a striped tape? Usually this message only appears when the tape does not have timecode on it (or if the tape is not moving, obviously).

Return to posts index

Jim CalahanRe: iFinish - Master to Tape won't work properly with RS422
by on Apr 19, 2006 at 2:20:41 pm

First go into the menu on the DVC Pro machine and change the remote setting to other (Sony) then change the ifinish machine control settings from dv to dyquest (sp) I'm at home not in front of the machine.

Return to posts index

GrmWnrRe: iFinish - Master to Tape won't work properly with RS422
by on Apr 19, 2006 at 3:00:57 pm

Floh:

Well, I've tried both - neither Assemble nor Insert work. Simple Record does (i.e. it writes a timecode resembling the timeline timecode to the tape), but it's too inaccurate; that timecode will be off by a varying degree (about 10 to 20 frames). I should mention that I dont need to splice into an existing tape - I only need a frame-accurate beginning of the program, so the Record method would suffice if it were accurate.

Jim:

Okay, I've tried this - setting the ID of the VCR from "Panasonic" to "Other" didn't change anything, though I only tried it once, and I'll continue checking different combinations. The DiaQuest remote was already selected - capturing with it works.

It seems there isn't an obvious solution to this problem, as I had feared... Oh, and I should mention that Assemble and Insert on the VCR work in principle, the other NLE I use it with (a liquid.silver) has no problems at all.

Return to posts index

Jim CalahanRe: iFinish - Master to Tape won't work properly with RS422
by on Apr 19, 2006 at 3:12:25 pm

If you are in assemble you need to set the timecode switch on the front to internal and the small switch on the inside flap to regen. I think the 750 is the same as a 950.

Return to posts index

GrmWnrRe: iFinish - Master to Tape won't work properly with RS422
by on Apr 19, 2006 at 3:28:32 pm

Both are set this way already. I tried rummaging around in the VCR's menu some more, with no results as of yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]