MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

OS9 vs OS X speed question

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sformby
OS9 vs OS X speed question
on Apr 14, 2006 at 2:26:55 am

I'm considering upgrading my second M100 system. It is now running 7.5, Vincent 601, G4 533 that has a G4 1.1 ghz processor upgrade installed. It has just become flaky over the years and crashes quite a bit, and I'm sick of troubleshooting OS 9. I'm wanting to move it to OS X.

If I find a cheap used P6000 card, and install OS X and 8.2.3, will I see a severe UI speed decrease? Will After Effects rendering, Bitvise rendering, etc. stay the same or get worse?

Its been so long that I can't remember, what are the differences (speed/reliability) between the Vincent 601 (flashed to do 720) and the P6000?

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: OS9 vs OS X speed question
by
on Apr 14, 2006 at 11:28:39 am

[sformby] "If I find a cheap used P6000 card, and install OS X and 8.2.3, will I see a severe UI speed decrease?"

A G4 1.1GHz should be okay. Not great but okay speed-wise when using Media 100 i. Of course a dual G4 or a G5 would be nicer.

[sformby] " Will After Effects rendering, Bitvise rendering, etc. stay the same or get worse?"

AE and BitVice rendering will be much quicker if you use the software codec, since the Media 100 hardware codec that is used under OS9 is a major speed limitation.

[sformby] "Its been so long that I can't remember, what are the differences (speed/reliability) between the Vincent 601 (flashed to do 720) and the P6000?"

In terms of speed there is no difference between P6000 and 601, as far as I know. The only thing is that the P6000 do 601 formats correctly, and that they can accept SDI and DV daughter cards. Our P6000 boards are extremely reliable.

One thing you should think about though (like everybody thinking about buying something right now) is to wait till NAB. I think Media 100 will announce some news there, and maybe there is something that could be interesting for you. I don

Return to posts index

sformby
on Apr 14, 2006 at 4:47:27 pm

Yes, I know you're right. I just wanted to get a clear picture of what I could expect from a P6000 upgrade before hitting NAB. I'll be at NAB and the M100 user's group meeting, so I'll report back.

Return to posts index

matt short
on Apr 14, 2006 at 6:22:28 pm

[sformby] "G4 533 that has a G4 1.1 ghz processor upgrade installed."

What CPU upgrade do you have? I tried a Sonnet upgrade some time ago and it wasn't compatible with M100.

Return to posts index

sformby
on Apr 20, 2006 at 10:56:01 pm

Hmmm. I think it is a G4 Sonnet. How was yours "not compatible" - what behavior did it have?

Return to posts index

matt short
on Apr 21, 2006 at 6:40:20 pm

[sformby] "How was yours "not compatible" - what behavior did it have?"

Everything worked fine except Media100i, go figure. It was the 1.7ghz Sonnet, which they don't seem to be carrying anymore. Maybe there was more problems with that model. All my other programs functioned normally with it though (AE, Illustrator, Photoshop, Commotion, Protools, Lightwave). I had it for about a month, trying to get to the root of the problem and Clubmac still gave me a full refund.

Return to posts index

sformby
on Apr 25, 2006 at 6:52:03 am

Another upgrade story.....I started out with a Powerlogix dual 1ghz upgrade.So the sucker has a huge heat sink on it, and needs to be powered. So I connect the power cable to the end of the CD chain, the closest cable. But the cable they supplied is still rather short, it barely reaches. You see where I'm going with this. Instead of going and getting an extender (should I have to do this?) , I get working with the new upgrade. I then decide to add a new hard drive. Upgrades are fun...whee! I open and close the G4 case a few times, and the cable must have come undone. Next time I power up, sparks are undoubtedly flying around inside like a cool particle effect. $700 later, I've paid to resuscitate my shorted logic board and zapped hard drive on my old ass G4. And even though Powerlogix is probably half a mile from my house, I no longer think global and buy local...I got a single processor Sonnet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]