MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

New to the forum and new to media100i - p6000 in a pc ?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
klak06New to the forum and new to media100i - p6000 in a pc ?
by on Mar 28, 2006 at 11:43:48 pm

hello everyone,
just before i joined the media100 forum and wanted to say hello. I`ve been following the threads for some time now, and a few weeks back i bought an old Mac equipped with a p6000 + dv-option and media100i v.7.5.x and 8.1.x.
I have been editing, well learning to at least, with this system, and have to say i am very pleased with its overall performance and quality. Enjoyed it a lot...past tense, as you might have noticed. Yesterday evening, the Mac refused to start. Pushed the button - nothing. Niente. Nada. Dead as dead can be. I think it is the psu that is defective (I have been searching the net extensivly today and found several suggestions including resetting the pmu with the s1 button on the board).
This leads to my first question here in the forum:
is it possible to use the p6000 pci card in a PC ? Or does that not work ?
I do not want to put any money into the old G4 733 (Digital Audio i think - a blue one still) seeing how expensive psu`s from Apple are. I`d rather wait and buy another one second hand on an auction. But I would consider buying iFinish if i could use the p6000 card in a PC.
Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.
thanks

Return to posts index

FlohRe: New to the forum and new to media100i - p6000 in a pc ?
by on Mar 29, 2006 at 9:15:01 am

The P6000 boards do work in PCs and Macs; in Macs with the Media 100 i software, on a PC with the iFinish software. But you need an encryption code that is based on your boards serial number to run the software. Since you have Media 100 i you would need to crossgrade to iFinish to get an iFinish encryption code. But I have no idea how much Media 100 would charge for that.

Return to posts index

klak06Re: New to the forum and new to media100i - p6000 in a pc ?
by on Mar 29, 2006 at 10:07:36 am

Hello Floh,

Thank you for answering.
I am going to find out about a crossgrade.
At least i now know there is another option to buying a mac. ;)
klaus

Return to posts index

Arthur DentRe: New to the forum and new to media100i - p6000 in a pc ?
by on Mar 29, 2006 at 2:32:17 pm

You might have trouble finding a PC today that is compatible with the iFinish software and the p6000 hardware.

I guess m100 hasn't tested new PC's for that system in a couple years. Plus, ifinish software has not seen a major update in quite a while, and Media 100 on the Mac has many more software features.

I'd recomend getting a used G4 rather than sinking money into trying to make iFinish work properly...

My $.02
~AD

Return to posts index

by on Mar 29, 2006 at 6:17:57 pm

Hello Arthur,

thanks for making me aware of that. I hadn`t yet found out about iFinish and was hoping it would be easier to get the P6000 up and running in a P4 mainboard than to have it to put in a rather old Apple computer. Right now i feel a little bit like someone who is "once bitten - twice shy" and do not dare to spend any more money on "no warranty" hardware.
Guess i have to think again about what would be a possible AND useful next step...
Since video editing is more of a hobby and will not let me make any money and re-finance
investments, I am unsure about what to do.

cheers
Klaus

Return to posts index

MarcRe: New to the forum and new to media100i - p6000 in a pc ?
by on Mar 29, 2006 at 6:49:33 pm

Hi Klaus,

For what it's worth, I've had a P6000 board in a Quicksilver 2002 G4, that I keep on 12-14 hours a day, for about 4 years now and I've never had problems. I wouldn't hesitate buying a used one. I tend to agree with those who suggest going with a Mac, with the right software, it would probably be up and running with minimal fuss and you'd have the ultimate hobbyist NLE that should meet your needs for years to come.

Marc

Return to posts index

by on Mar 30, 2006 at 4:43:14 pm

http://www.powermax.com sells certified pre-owned Mac systems. I guess they're a little more expensive than from 3rd party used, but I believe they offer a 90 day warranty, and m100 will still offer you an extened warranty on you P6000 and BOB (for a cost).

good luck
~AD

Return to posts index

by on Mar 30, 2006 at 5:01:51 pm

Well, i live in Switzerland...and it is still regarded as a high-price-country. And since CH is not a member of the EU shipping costs and VAT eat up any value offer i could get from another country. Right now i have put the P6000 into a - don`t laugh ;) - G4-350MHz. That`s of course far from being workable, but still fast enough to learn the software.
I`ll keep my eyes open for another Mac and wait for media100 sales office to answer my questions about iFinish and the P6000 in a P4 PC.
So far thanks a lot for the help and suggestions.

greats
Klaus

Return to posts index

by on Mar 30, 2006 at 10:59:21 pm

I'll bet Media 100 version 7.5 on Mac OS 9 will run better on that machine than the OS X version. Maybe try that instead. You don't get all the graphic layers, but the UI will be more responsive.

~AD

Return to posts index

by on Mar 31, 2006 at 9:30:20 am

yes, i have OS 9.2.2 installed and use media100i 7.5.1. I tried OSX once but it`s really no fun. Very sluggish interface response - obviously. And to be honest, i don`t need all the whistles and bells OSX has to offer.
For now I export the program to an image sequence and transfer it to a Win PC to work in Digital Fusion. That works fine for the time being.
cheers
klaus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]