MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

How to transfer Hi8 to Quicktime Movie and then to CD/DVD?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome Robbins
How to transfer Hi8 to Quicktime Movie and then to CD/DVD?
on Mar 20, 2006 at 9:14:39 pm

Someone brought me an 8 minute Hi8 tape and they want it transferred to a Quicktime movie so they can import it into After Effects and so some manipulation of it. They gave me a CD to put it on.

I digitized it into Media 100. I then Exported it as a self-contained QT movie. Well, I kept getting errors...so I serperated the video and audio into 2 different programs in different locations so now I have the audio and the video on my desk top . The video is 4.24 GB and the Audio is 83 MB. It won't fit on a CD.

I have compressor, Sorenson Sqeeeze and DvdStudioPro.

I thought this would be easy: just digitize then export and burn toCD or DVD.

What would be the best way to proceed with the Video and Audio seperate now?

jerome

Return to posts index

Mike Johnson
Re: How to transfer Hi8 to Quicktime Movie and then to CD/DVD?
on Mar 20, 2006 at 10:36:28 pm

Burn on a DVD, then it will fit without you doing some transcoding.
They will need to download and install the media100 codec if they want to be able to play the movie on their system.

You shouldnt get errors when you export. What do they say?
Do you export using correct settings?

Return to posts index

Jerome Robbins
on Mar 21, 2006 at 12:36:22 am

They want to be able to edit on a PC in After Effects so they will need a file format like AVI or QT. I finally got the program to export as a .MOV. I was going to put it on a DVD as QT but the program is 4.31 GB and the DVD says it only has 4.28 GB available. So, it has to be compressed a bit. I have Quicktime Pro but don't know how to conpress with it.

Is there other settings I could use to Export from the Edit suite and get it to be a smaller file?

jerome

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Mar 21, 2006 at 1:59:07 am

I did this in the past for a client. I output evereything as an AVI file uncompressed and save it to a portable firewire drive. I loaned that drive to the client until they had done the transfer to After Effects. It worked perfectly.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Marshall
on Mar 21, 2006 at 3:43:51 am

...or if you are firmly committed to copying the file to a DVD, try compressing it using the Photo JPEG codec. Set the quality slider to 95. Gorgeous files, small size. Another option: compress it to Motion JPEG B, which is essentially what Media 100's codec is, but your client won't need the trancoder to read it.

Return to posts index

Jerome Robbins
on Mar 22, 2006 at 6:10:10 am

[Lawrence Marshall] "compress it to Motion JPEG B, which is essentially what Media 100's codec is, but your client won't need the trancoder to read it."

I chose this option and it worked great.

thanks everyone for your input!

jerome

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]