MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

HD Cameras & Media100i 7.5 XS

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AjmetzHD Cameras & Media100i 7.5 XS
by on Mar 17, 2006 at 10:59:38 pm

I have a couple of freelance cameramen that were using PD170s last time I worked with them, but now operate a HDV camera by Sony ( don't have the name to hand ) that records in HD.

Will my SD Media100i 7.5 XS (OS9) be able to accept footage shot on such cameras? Obviously I won't be able to edit in HD, because it's not Media100 HD, but the older Media100i...but will the footage run in as normal SD? Or will the camera and editing suite simply be incompatible?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: HD Cameras & Media100i 7.5 XS
by on Mar 18, 2006 at 2:42:48 pm

As far as I know, the Sony HD cams can output a downconverted SD signal which you should be able to input into the suite.It won't, as you say, be HD, but it'll be very nice SD. That said I don't know what outputs the cameras have (SDI, analogue etc) so you'll have to check.

It might be worth hiring an appropriate playback deck to handle the input to the suite as this will not only give you better connectivity options but will mean that the cameramen don't need to leave their cameras with you for the edit.

I've worked with HDCAM downconverted via SDI into a standard XS and the results have been lovely.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: HD Cameras & Media100i 7.5 XS
by on Mar 18, 2006 at 4:13:35 pm

[Ajmetz] "Will my SD Media100i 7.5 XS (OS9) be able to accept footage shot on such cameras?"

We have digitized HDV footage (downconverted to SD) using a HVRM10U HDV player using Media 100 i

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: HD Cameras & Media100i 7.5 XS
by on Mar 18, 2006 at 9:34:55 pm

You are under a slight misaprhension I think. The Sony HDV camera (Z1) is not recording in the HD that can be edited in HD. I have one and in order to edit on my Media 100 HD version 10.1.3 I have to convert the media through the Convergent Design box to full HD. You can edit on your Media 100i system if you downconvert the HDV (either from the camera or Sony HDV deck) to DV and digitize through firewire. The downconverted picture is excellent and you should have no problems, but you won't have HD or even HDV.

Return to posts index

Matt CahillRe: HD Cameras & Media100i 7.5 XS
by on Mar 19, 2006 at 8:06:46 pm

The HDV cameras also shoot in DV mode, so, if you do not want to make an investement right now in the Sony deck, you simply specify to your shooters that they give you DV tapes. That will work in any DV deck already in your system.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]