MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 Dv digitizing issue

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack ShepardMedia 100 Dv digitizing issue
by on Feb 24, 2006 at 5:17:44 am

I have been digitizing a large amount of footage through the Media 100 dv option. I'm using Media 100 8.2.3 xr. And the Panasonic AG DVX100 to load the footage from.

I started noticing that I started losing synch between what the edit suite said the time code was compared to what the burn in on the screen says. And the longer I left it to digitize there was more of a distance between the two. It seems when I would hit a minute such as 02:01:00:00 there would be a 2 frame difference between the Media 100 timecode and that which was on the burned in timecode.

Which leads me to believe that this may be a Drop frame. Non drop frame issue? I've never had to adjust this before - I don't believe there is a way to adjust it within Media 100?

Or is it a device issue?

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Media 100 Dv digitizing issue
by on Feb 24, 2006 at 1:18:05 pm

Are you sure that the DV timecode is continuous? Media 100 only samples the timecode at the start of the digitising and from then on inserts its own timecode. If you have a timecode jump, say at a scene change etc, Media 100 will not see that jump and the timecodes will start to slip apart.

In my experience, DV footage shot just using the pause button introduces timecode jumps of a few frames here and there, stop the tape, re-cue or review in camera and the jumps can be huge.

I could still be a drop frame or device issue, but the above is something you might want to check, especially if you are digitising at a low Kb for conforming later.

Return to posts index

Jack ShepardRe: Media 100 Dv digitizing issue
by on Feb 25, 2006 at 8:37:00 pm

thanks for the reply. did a lot of checking before I figured it out (though
it turned out to be kind of simple). it did turn out to be a drop frame problem.
the dv tapes which the dailies are on were nondrop frame which unfortunately
media 100 can't import as nondrop frame. so the longer the tapes would run
(every minute it would drop 2 frames)... the more out of synch the tapes would be.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved