MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Mac PC networking, Cinemacraft Encoder, M100HD

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy TaplinMac PC networking, Cinemacraft Encoder, M100HD
by on Feb 16, 2006 at 5:59:14 pm

Trying to kill 3 birds wth one stone here - thanks in advance for advice...

Just bought a PC 'cos I really need to test stuff on PCs as this is what most of my clients use.

Networking it to my Macs is proving a nightmare. Seems fine with my old Powerbook G3 but very flakey with my G4s. Everything is running 10.3.9 and XP SVP2 but the G4s did briefly hook up with the PC but now have both stopped being recognised - can't fathom the problem.

Anyone tried the Cinemacraft MPEG2 encoder? Seems very fast on a Pentium 4 3GHZ about 50% faster than real-time and better quality than Apple, BitVice etc.

Lastly, I have the cahnce to but a Media100 at a discount with a 2.7GHZ G5 which is only a bit more than FCP wth AJA and a new G5 - I know and like Media100 FCP looks a bit unintuative but perhaps is the future?

Return to posts index

Bobby MosaediRe: Mac PC networking, Cinemacraft Encoder, M100HD
by on Feb 16, 2006 at 11:13:58 pm

how do you have your PC connected to your mac? the easiest way is to use a router with DHCP. OS X has no problem communicating with windows computers. On the the PC side, its not as easy to connect, but it can still be done by configuring "my network places" either set up a new connection and type in the IP addres of your mac then your username and password. Also, make sure that file sharing/appletalk is enabled on both systems. Windows: right click the hard drive you want, then go to the sharing tab and tell it to share the drive on the network. on Mac: go to system preferences, network, turn on appletalk and make sure you check the box that enables windows file sharing. Ideally, if you leave both systems on a lot, you can just mount the drives on your mac and create a shortcut on the windows machine. i can explain further if you need more help, but that should get you going.

I don't have any background on the cinemacraft encoder, but if you have the media100 transcoder on the PC, you can do MPEG2 conversions. PCs are wicked fast for anything involving processor intensive rendering/encoding in comparison to macs.

And as for your media 100/ G5, what kind of media 100 is it? if it is a media100i system, you will need a magma expansion chassis that costs extra $$ and the performance gain is not as exponential as you would assume. If it is a media100 HD , make sure it works and you get the cables and break out box. If you plan on doing high definition video though, you will need some form of high-speed storage (apple xserve RAID, etc) to do real-time uncompressed HD only. if you go the final cut route, you can work with HDV/DVCPROHD material on firewire/internal system drives at a low expense. Mind you though, you will need to purchase some kind of hardware I/O support for your final cut system if you want to do any kind of SDI capture/monitoring/ mastering etc. Hope this helps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved