MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

import photographs, speaking of PP

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
EclecticBubba
import photographs, speaking of PP
on Feb 15, 2006 at 8:23:06 pm

Here we go... again!
I know how to work with pixel aspect ratios and I know square vs. non-square, etc. Had a media100 when it was its own company!
However, I still get trapped, and can't find a good shortcut, to importing plain old still photos when I need to run a mess of them down on a timeline.

yeah, when I so this through after effects for pushes and zooms and what-not, I can interpret them there. And if I DROP a photo into a "new" photoshop document set to DV aspect ratio, the pixels are seamlessly converted there.
However, I'm trying to find a way to run a batch command to resize them, "fit" them into a dv frame size, run a level and color check, AND fix the pixels so I don't get a squish or smash when I import them. There doesn't seem to be a way in photoshop to actually Open a square pixxed doc into a non-square doc without physically moving it, or placing it into the new doc. resetting the pixel aspect ratio is for viewing, not correcting.

This comes up time and time again, where i just want to resize a couple hundred photos, or even PP and lay them out quickly on a timeline without "fixing" each one...

anythoughts on an action command in PS that will do this within a Batch process?

(i realize this is more a PS question, but I figure the video saavy folks are over here.)

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: import photographs, speaking of PP
by
on Feb 15, 2006 at 9:31:46 pm

If your original files start as 4:3 aspect ratio you could write a small batch script. First scale them proportionally to 720*540, then scale them non-proportionally to 720*486 to get into the right aspect ratio.

Return to posts index

EclecticBubba
on Feb 16, 2006 at 12:01:23 am

Floh,

I just can't determine how to rescale the image, that results in the correct ratio for import. Which tools can you use in that batch function? I've been trying to use auto fit, image resize, canvas resize... but can't get the combination right.. I still end up with a square pixel image....
sorry if I'm missing something obvious...
Like I said, I can easily slide an image into a "new" "DV" sized doc., but i'd like to batch a bunch.

thanks a bunch.

bubba

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Feb 16, 2006 at 5:43:05 pm

I only have the German version fof CS2, but I try to translate it into English. Maybe the commands have somewhat different names in the English version.

- Take your 4:3 original image
- Do an Image->Size->width to 720 while having checked the "keep proportions" checkbox checked. Height should be 540 then automatically if you

Return to posts index

EclecticBubba
on Feb 16, 2006 at 6:47:27 pm

486 as width?

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Feb 16, 2006 at 6:58:26 pm

[EclecticBubba] "486 as width?"

Most likely this would not make sense, would it?

Return to posts index

EclecticBubba
on Feb 16, 2006 at 7:42:09 pm

I'm assuming you meant height.
and I'm truly not trying to be snarky... but I can't make it work.
still does not come out accurately. it's close.
try it with a digital photo... I'm starting out with a 2544 x 1696 image (72ppi). which is about a 2 x 3.
(please understand, I may be missing something really really obvious here.)
but going through your steps, even adding a "canvas size" to match 720 x 540 (or 486) .... it still isn't the equivalent if you move the same image over to an NTSC D1 canvas and scale it down manually... then import.

And while I've been typing this, I may have come across the solution.
image size to 640 x (?) WITH constrain proportions checked...
then image size to 720 x (??) WITHOUT constrain proportions checked
change canvas size to 720 x 486 with a black fill.
level and color correct...
and save and import directly.

that may be it...

?

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Feb 16, 2006 at 7:53:40 pm

[EclecticBubba] "try it with a digital photo... I'm starting out with a 2544 x 1696 image (72ppi). which is about a 2 x 3. "

That

Return to posts index

EclecticBubba
on Feb 16, 2006 at 8:31:12 pm

you dah best, Floh.
I'm not worthy....
"when I can take the pixels from your hand...."

thanks man,

cMn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>