MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

powerpoint slides

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregpowerpoint slides
by on Feb 14, 2006 at 1:37:59 am

I'm editing a show for a client who wants me to use his powerpoint slides for his graphics. These slides are quite busy with charts and graphs. I'm editing in a 720X486 program. What's the best way to import these slides? What size and resolution should I use? Should they be interlaced? Should I adjust them in Photoshop? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

Ernie SantellaRe: powerpoint slides
by on Feb 14, 2006 at 4:18:26 am

If they need work, you can export each slide and then clean them up in Photoshop. Most PP authors don't consider going to video, so the type is usually too small or too close to the edges.

If you need the PP transitions, try apple Iworks. I just bought it and it can export a movie with transactions intact - very cool.

Ernie Santella
Santella Film/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Bobby MosaediRe: powerpoint slides
by on Feb 14, 2006 at 8:31:51 am

if you have access to a sony1024 multimedia switcher, you can hook up your media100 and laptop to it and do a real time record with builds and set your edges. its NTSC, so ther ewill be some quality loss, but its super quick and easy

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: powerpoint slides
by on Feb 14, 2006 at 10:09:49 am

I tend to go into powerpoint and first export the slides as JPEGs complete, then go through them removing all the text, (leaving just the backgrounds, charts, pics etc)then export those as JPEGS as well.

In Boris I then import the full JPEGs and shrink down so that they are in a box within the titlesafe area and put a suitable background behind it. If the PP was made to be seen in a large room, I often find that the slides are OK on their own, usually only requiring a levels/gamma change and the 1:2:1 Deflicker to get rid of interlace noise. This last one does tend to give a soft, but not overly unpleasant feel - you just have to decide on a slide by slide basis.

If I encounter a particularly bad slide, either due to size of text etc or layout issues, I can then go back to the "blank" slide I exported and use Boris to Generate new text. Sometimes you are forced to hop into photoshop to do things like thicken lines in graphs etc. Also you can often pop back into Power Point to make adjustments there.

Return to posts index

GregRe: powerpoint slides
by on Feb 14, 2006 at 1:11:21 pm

All of these slides have small number figures and thin lines. They also tend to vibrate on screen. Basically they are sales charts with fine print small headings. Many have red lines which seem to bleed on screen. Any further suggestions? Should I have the client create these with thicjer lines? There's going to be about 30 of them. Yikes!

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: powerpoint slides
by on Feb 14, 2006 at 2:11:44 pm

Do you have Boris? If so the 1:2:1 Deflickering option in the local project settings will help with the vibrating lines etc. The colours can be tamed with a levels adjustment and probably a desaturation. If you have powerpoint yourself you may be able to make lines thicker by adjusting the settings of the charts, otherwise it may well be a good idea to ask the client to make the adjustments for you.

I also found that often although the whole chart was presented in the Powerpoint presentation, only a small portion was being highlighted by the speaker. Presenting this portion as a zoomed in section floating over the top of the whole chart often allowed it to be large enough to work in video.

Return to posts index

Al J. MarschkeRe: powerpoint slides
by on Feb 15, 2006 at 11:34:04 am

My method is similar to Kieran's.. Except I export as PNG. The quality is noticeably better. JPEG looks a bit low rez"

FYI -Look into Camtasia by techsmith dot com.

Al J. Marschke
BluMars Media
Pittsburgh, PA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved