MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

P6000 board in G5 vs. M100 HD

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Marshall
P6000 board in G5 vs. M100 HD
on Feb 9, 2006 at 3:31:59 am

Sooo... probably a question for Floh, since his shop is running both configurations, but:

A Media 100 P6000 board in an expansion chassis on a G5, versus the M100 HD boardset in a G5 - - how do the two compare speed-wise? Interface interaction and feel? Timeline scrolling? Rendering times? Exporting out to other applications (self-contained or reference files) and re-importing?

Other than the obvious differences to M100 HD (being able to digitize and edit HD, etc.), are things pretty zippy using the P6000 board in a G5 with an expansion chassis using some iteration of M100 Version 8.xx?

Thanks, Larry M

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosaedi
Re: P6000 board in G5 vs. M100 HD
on Feb 9, 2006 at 6:52:28 am

surprisingly, they feel almost exactly the same. i feel thats what the designers were going for. have you worked with media 100sw yet? it is the exact same software interface. The nice thing about the HDx board is that it works well third party programs that support it like after effects. Personally, i do feel a little bit of lag in the HD system when compared to a rock solid 8.2.2 i system, working with SD material in the media100i codec. im guessing it is because in the G5 the i codec is being processed all in software and processor now as opposed to the p6000 board. but it is still leaps and bounds ahead when it comes to rendering. hope that helps

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Feb 9, 2006 at 8:49:17 am

[Lawrence Marshall] " Media 100 P6000 board in an expansion chassis on a G5, versus the M100 HD boardset in a G5 - - how do the two compare speed-wise? Interface interaction and feel? Timeline scrolling?"

In this area I would say they feel identical, as long as you don

Return to posts index

Lawrence Marshall
on Feb 9, 2006 at 3:22:21 pm

Thanks Bobby and Floh. Great description of the pros and cons. As you might know, I already own a M100HD, but still have a perfectly fine P6000 board sitting in a G4. I never tried it with an expansion chassis in a G5. I still do a lot of remote editing, and it is quite a pain pulling that big M100 HD breakout box out of the rack and packing/travelling with it, in addition to unracking and travelling with audio AD and DA converters - equipment you don't need with M100 Version 8.xx and the P6000 board. Just wondering about the viability of using the "old" system on some of these non-HD edits using a G5.

Larry M

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosaedi
on Feb 14, 2006 at 8:27:20 am

media100i is so rock solid. we still use those systems for doing simple award graphics using boris for real-time titles under moving backgrounds. to depend on a media100 as a playback machine on-site is a pretty big risk, and was back in the 5.5 days, but the 8.2.2 xs system in our dual 1.42 G4 is pretty much bulletproof. i cannot remember the last time i had a hard crash, and thats with AE and m100i open and rendering simultaneously! media100 hd still has a ways to go , although in april we will take media100hd to seattle to do some uncompressed hd playback for a live show. fingers crossed, but i know things will go wrong so we will have a tape backup.

one thing you could do is just find the fastest, maxed out G4 machine and stick your p6000 card in there and install the codecs. we still have some older dual500 g4's i want to upgrade that have p6000's in them.

i must say the problems i have had in M100hd have all been centered around working in SD with the media100i codec. its performs very, very well working in 1080i and xserve raid.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]