MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100HD 16:9 and 4:3 Workflow Solution?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael C.Media 100HD 16:9 and 4:3 Workflow Solution?
by on Feb 1, 2006 at 5:41:40 pm

As I'm working on another issue about my batch re-aquire issues I was wondering if anyone has figured out a good system for using both 16:9 and 4:3 media in the same program.

I'm working on a show that is to be delivered in 4x3 on DigiBeta. All the material is coming in on Digibetas and half was shot in 4:3 and the other half in 16:9.

The show must be delivered in 4:3 full screen (no letterbox). The material all needs to cut together as though it is from one source.

There is a ton of material so we captured it all offline at low-res (about 45Kb. When I captured the 16:9 stuff, I took it in 16:9. Whenever we'd cut a shot into the program (set to 4:3), we'd choose the conform option with a slight blowup to make it fit 4:3 with no letterbox. That all works great in the OFFLINE.

I ASSUMED that when on-lining the material, it would get re-conformed and treated in the same way I treated the offline. It obviously should have. That doesn't seem to be how it works.

I don't even have the choice to batch re-aquire the 16:9 footage (now conformed) as 16:9. Since it has been conformed, I have to capture it at 4:3. So obviously this leaves the footage in the program squeezed.

My solution for now is going to be to go to every single one of those shots and do an expand and push in via Boris... but that really seems like a lot of work for something that should have been intuitive.

Did I miss something? What is the best way to do this type of thing in the future? Thanks.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Media 100HD 16:9 and 4:3 Workflow Solution?
by on Feb 1, 2006 at 5:55:00 pm

Michael,

unfortunately this is a limitation of the current aspect ratio conversion implementation, which hopefully will be changed in one of the next releases. If the clips you converted to 16:9 don

Return to posts index

Michael C.Re: Media 100HD 16:9 and 4:3 Workflow Solution?
by on Feb 1, 2006 at 6:11:51 pm

I think I follow you there... That would be a quicker way to do it for sure...

I'll see if I can make that work. Thanks.

Is there a user list of these types of issues anywhere? That one seems like a no brainer, as well as stuff like:

*Real Time DVE effects (at LEAST RT previews in timeline): Resize, Reposition, Moves (even DV versions of Avid and FCP can do this in software)
*Real time output of 16x9 to 4x3 letterbox (SD to SD... M100HD left this out even though it will do HD to SD)
*A Match Frame feature (from your CTI, you should be able to Match The Frame of Video and Audio back into your source Monitor
*Adjustable speed playback (via keyboard) of timeline... (see J-K-L)
*Fully mappable and customizable keyboard commands
*Clip filter support (I should be able to place a blur on a clip the same way I can place a color effect)

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Media 100HD 16:9 and 4:3 Workflow Solution?
by on Feb 1, 2006 at 6:20:10 pm

[Michael C.] "Is there a user list of these types of issues anywhere? That one seems like a no brainer, as well as stuff like:"

I think the new team at Boris/Media 100 is always interested in these issues: From a post from Anne Renehan from BorisFX: "Rob Newman (rnewman@media100.com) is the product manager [for Media 100 products]; I handle press inquiries (anner@borisfx.com).

Return to posts index

Michael C.A bit of a work around...
by on Feb 2, 2006 at 12:42:05 am

Spinning off of Floh's idea, here's what I did.

I created a 16:9 hold program and lined it up underneath the 4:3 program.

When I came across a 16:9 squeezed clip in the 4x3 program, I'd drag in down to the 16:9 hold program... M100HD asks what to do. I select change aspect ratio so it instantly drops in...

Then, I immediateley drag it right back onto the clip in the main 4:3 program (and replace the clip using the command key) and choose conform, then select the crop option. This "unsqueezes" it and pushes in making it look perfect. All the shots rendered quite fast.

This works great because all transitions are kept in tact.

This is also a great work around for pushing in on 4x3 letter box clips way faster than using boris (and better quality it seems too)... You just do the process in reverse.

It is pretty quick to do and not a huge ordeal... Although, they really should get the system working much better. You shouldn't have to find work-arounds for something as basic as this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]