MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100HD Batch Re-Aquire Problem

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael C.Media 100HD Batch Re-Aquire Problem
by on Jan 31, 2006 at 11:31:26 pm

I'm having an odd problem I can't figure out.

I first noticed it while trying to batch re-aquire some footage that was taken in at too low a resolution. This was from a VHS tape with VITC. The batch would stop after only capturing one clip each time. Even though it would find the timecode it was looking for, it would just stop.

We ended up having to take each shot back in one at a time. I didn't have time to trouble shoot it and just chalked it up to something screwy with VHS timecode (although I've done this countless times on the M100i and never had an issue).

Now is the real problem. We are onlining our show off Digibeta and have a Digi master with 100+ shots on the tape. Again, the batch capture will go to and locate the timecode and then just fail. Usually it will just stop, but if it does start to record, it won't complete and I'll get a red "Can't Record" error notice in the batch reaquire window.

So, it is the same issue with two completely different decks, so I can rule out the tape playing hardware as the problem.

I've gone through this process thousands of times on the M100i and never have seen anyhing like this.

Also, very often when we click done to get out of the batch re-aquire window M100HD will crash and unexpectedly quit.

I'm running M100HD 10.1.3 on a G5 dual 2.7 on OSX 10.4.

Any ideas about what this could be?

Return to posts index

LukkeeRe: Media 100HD Batch Re-Aquire Problem
by on Feb 1, 2006 at 3:22:42 am

Hi, I had a similar problem with betasp. Try setting the deck to the "head on" position, this is where the video will always be displayed.
Hope this helps.
lc

Return to posts index

Michael C.Re: Media 100HD Batch Re-Aquire Problem
by on Feb 1, 2006 at 3:39:43 am

Thanks... I'm not sure I know where to find that option... I'm using a DVW-A500 Sony Digibeta deck... I don't think I've seen a "head position" option.

Return to posts index

CleverMonikerRe: Media 100HD Batch Re-Aquire Problem
by on Feb 1, 2006 at 3:55:50 am

Mike,

Lukkee may be on the right track. Especially if this is a rented deck, it may be set up slightly different from one you've used in the past.

Hook up the "super" out from the back of the deck so you can see the menu on your monitor and troll through the menu looking for anything that sounds like it might apply to your situation. Don't forget to "save" or "set" any changes made. (sorry, not if front of one of the decks right now, so I'm not sure of the exact terminology). Try one thing at a time to see if it does the trick and undo any changes that don't help.

Let us know if you find it.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2006 at 4:06:01 am

Thanks Clever... I've been trolling away on the Digi deck as you posted, but haven't found anything that's made a difference...

...also, I was able to re-produce the error using a VHS deck with timecode, so I'm thinking it is something other than the decks.

I'm left with thoughts about genlock settings (which I've tried everything), and possible Keyspan issues (but it has worked fine in the past on the M100HD and M100i). Or maybe some weird combination of output or input video settings... I've tried doing the batch on both component and SDI inputs and the same thing occurs.

???

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2006 at 4:19:08 am

OK... I just tested taking in some clips on our DV cam deck at low res and then re-digitizing them at lossless an IT WORKED!

So... there must be something (like suggested) that is messing things up on the DigiBeta... Now, how the heck do I find out what that is?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2006 at 4:01:18 am

Yeah... I'm still at a loss.

I haven't found where to change the head position of the deck... But this also is occurring on a VHS deck.

I have tried uninstalling 10.1.3 and re-installing it, and I still get the exact same issue. I even tried going back to 10.1.2 and the same thing happens.

I have succesfully onlined on the M100HD in the past, so I'm really confused.

I've made sure my Keyspan adapter is using the most recent driver... I've deleted all M100 preferences and deleted the DQ-TimeCoder pref as well.

I've created a new project and brought the programs over to there... same problem. I used the shift-apple-control key to go into the advanced Device control preferences and changed from fast cue to internal deck...

And still, nothing. AND I'm constantly getting a crash everytime I exit the re-aquire window... The report states that it is a EXC_BAD_ACCESS exception and a KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS code is given...

I'm in the middle of a huge online, and am pretty much screwed... :(

I can't go back to the M100i since the programs are not backwards compatible...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Media 100HD Batch Re-Aquire Problem
by on Feb 1, 2006 at 8:54:11 am

Michael,

I usually only see the "Can

Return to posts index

SheeploveRe: Media 100HD Batch Re-Aquire Problem
by on Feb 1, 2006 at 9:22:22 am

I've also had similar problems with most feeder decks. I keep loosing genlock & to gain success have to have the deck playing as I switch Media100 into digitise mode. If the batch includes time code in points more than two mins appart, I have to re genlock the system! I have been forced to use an external black & burst generator with the HD system - the old Media100i was fine on internal sync?

G5 dual 2.7, OS10.4.4, 4G RAM
Media100 HD 10.1.3, AE 7
2.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2006 at 9:30:52 am

[Sheeplove] "I've also had similar problems with most feeder decks. I keep loosing genlock & to gain success have to have the deck playing as I switch Media100 into digitise mode. If the batch includes time code in points more than two mins appart, I have to re genlock the system!"

That

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2006 at 9:55:49 am

Using DVWA500P, AJD950 (DVCPRO50), UVW1800, All SDI & with house ref. & set to PB.

Media100 HD 10.1.3, AE 7
2.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2006 at 9:59:18 am

[Sheeplove] "All SDI & with house ref. & set to PB"

Have you tried disconnecting the decks and the system from the house sync and setting genlock to internal on HD? In this setup it works for us.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2006 at 10:19:07 am

Yes. Tried internal Sync... according to our Media100 supplier (Cypher AMS) there are issues with genlock on some systems & it's being "looked into" by media100... I wait with interest!

Media100 HD 10.1.3, AE 7
2.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

LukkeeRe: Media 100HD Batch Re-Aquire Problem
by on Feb 1, 2006 at 4:24:34 pm

The solution I got was from M100 tech support. Try this link although it says 844X, it worked for me with beta sp.
http://support.media100.com/kbsearch/kbDocument.aspx?id=296
Hope this helps,
lc

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2006 at 4:38:41 pm

Thanks for your help.

Media100 HD 10.1.3, AE 7
2.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Michael C.** BREAKTHROUGH ** (sorta) Problem semi-fixed
by on Feb 1, 2006 at 5:23:14 pm

With extra special thanks to M100 tech support (I got a follow up call at 3am pst from the technician I spoke with last night with an "idea" after he was browsing this very forum) a semi-solution has been found.

He seemed to remember setting 701 on the DigiBeta deck which controls EE Delay. He said to switch it to the opposite of what it was set at and to try that. It was set at "SYNC" and I switched it to "VIDEO".

Now in my successful tests of the DVCAM deck (Sony model DSR-1800), the EE Delay was set to sync and everything always worked fine. However, switching the DigiBeta deck to SYNC seems to have solved the problem... well, half the time...

We've gone through a number of tapes and are on-lining successfully on about half of the clips, but some shots still just don't work. We're not getting the "can't record" message on these, but it is behaving similarly to how it did during many of the fails previously. On these failed clips, it will get about 3/4 through a shot and then just stop. No error message, and the shot is simply not taken in.

For now I can get a portion of my work done, which is really needed at the moment. I'm not sure what else to try or what it means that the EE Delay setting changed things.

I'm not sure if this 1/2 working ratio will even keep up, but I'm going to get as many clips as I can onlined while it is at least working this well.

Any other thoughts on what this mean would be great... Thanks.

*Oh and Floh, thanks for the ideas but I did try just about every possible input and hardware settings that I could think of. Aspect ratio, inputting from Component and SDI, NTSC is correct, etc, etc... I'll look at the media destinations, but we are able to acquire normally fine, so I just don't know.

Return to posts index

Michael C.Re: ** BREAKTHROUGH ** (sorta) Problem semi-fixed
by on Feb 1, 2006 at 5:28:03 pm

EDIT POST:
[Michael C.] "Now in my successful tests of the DVCAM deck (Sony model DSR-1800), the EE Delay was set to sync and everything always worked fine. However, switching the DigiBeta deck to [SYNC] (correction: should read "VIDEO") seems to have solved the problem... well, half the time..."

My appologies... It is semi-working when I switched the EE on the digibeta deck to VIDEO (not sync... sync is where it was set when it was NOT working).

Return to posts index

FlohRe: ** BREAKTHROUGH ** (sorta) Problem semi-fixed
by on Feb 1, 2006 at 5:37:38 pm

[Michael C.] "Now in my successful tests of the DVCAM deck (Sony model DSR-1800), the EE Delay was set to sync and everything always worked fine. However, switching the DigiBeta deck to SYNC seems to have solved the problem... well, half the time..."

I think you mean switching the digibeta to "video"?!?

Our digibetas are all set to "sync" on menu 701. But one additional thing you could try is to set point 309 to EXT. Don

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2006 at 5:46:02 pm

Yeah... I added a post which clarified my typo... oops :(
[Floh] "And make sure that on Video output from the system is looping back into an input of the deck (neither SDI, Audio or Sync) while digitizing."
Do you mean have video reference looping back to the Digi? If so, we do. What do you mean by "neither SDI, Audio or Sync" though?

Also, things seem to be moving along fine right now... we're at about 95% success rate with the EE DELAY set to video. go figure... i'm not going to mess with anything till it is all over.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 2, 2006 at 12:35:05 am

Just as a final note, I got through the online and got all the clips... After not changing anything, all the clips ended up going in fine.

I don't know what EE Delay is or why it had to be on VIDEO for me, but that fixed the problem. Hopefully others who run into this issue will be able to find this thread to try this as a fix.

Thanks for the help people!

Return to posts index

FlohRe: ** BREAKTHROUGH ** (sorta) Problem semi-fixed
by on Feb 2, 2006 at 12:40:55 am

[Michael C.] "Just as a final note, I got through the online and got all the clips... After not changing anything, all the clips ended up going in fine."

Great news. Congratulations!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]