MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

100sw vs FCP

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
showpro100sw vs FCP
by on Jan 24, 2006 at 10:10:44 pm

I just learned about the pending release of Media100 sw as a stand alone DV editing solution for laptops. Long ago I very much liked the Media 100 desktop solution for Macs, I preferred it over Avid. I used it a lot and loved the integration of Boris FX and Graffiti. In recent years my editing tasks have been for personal use primarily, and for corporate meetings interviews and candids reels. Very simple editing, no compositing. Simple AB roll editing with limited graphics and lower third supers. You just have to do the work in very short order. All DV in and out. I currently use a Mac Powerbook G4 extreme ( 1,5mhz, 1 gig RAM, 128mb vram) with FCE. FCE is okay, but not great. The transitions are very limited, titling options are awful, and Boris does not support it. I was looking at upgrading to FCP5. Looked at it and was not impressed in relation to what I do for the cost. It does have a lot of cool features I might use one day if I win the lottery and make my own film, but for now it seems costly since I would have to add Boris to get where I want to be. Then there is the looming Media100sw. For those of you who have had much more use time and exposure to the 2 NLEs, what advice can you provide on comparing the 2 as DV editing solutions. It would appear the Media100SW would be a less expensive option overall but I assume it does not support many of the DV options in FCP5 (multicam - live type - etc). Even though I may never use them, are they worth having just in case? Or is the Media 100 system still better in its interface, Boris integration, and general intuitive nature for old editors like me who cut their teeth on Steenbecks and linear video editing? All advice andopinions are welcome. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved