MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Best way to save current project

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GregBest way to save current project
by on Jan 15, 2006 at 10:22:27 pm

I'm working on a project that will end up taking up more roomon my drives than I have capacity for. Basically I'm editing three programs at the same time, for the same client. My question is, once I digitize all footage for one of the programs, and edit that program, can I just transfer all of the media off of my scsi drives and onto my firewire drives? Then when I need to go back to that program later, would I just relink the media?

I've tried that on another project, and a I get the media search file window that searches for the media but continously indicates missing files in red numbers. Is that comon, or is there a problem? How can I test this before hand so I don't destroy 1 week of editing?

I haven't had the chance to buy any SATA drive set-ups yet. Thanks

Return to posts index

matt shortRe: Best way to save current project
by on Jan 15, 2006 at 11:16:13 pm

For each program use a seperate project (assuming you don't need the same footage). After you're finished editing, copy the media file from your SCSI to firewire. Then you can delete the media file from your SCSI and start the next project/program, then repeat the process for the third. Make sure you save your Project, Program & Bin files to your internal hard drive. When you want to reload a project, just copy the coresponding media file back to your SCSI and open it in M100.

Return to posts index

GregRe: Best way to save current project
by on Jan 16, 2006 at 5:14:55 pm

Hi Matt,

I've copied the media file to my firewire drive. I'm not sure how to save the Project, Program & Bin files to my internal hard drive. It looks like it does that automatically. For example, whenever I hit open fle on Media 100, a list of documents open and I see all of the bin and program documents.

So all I really need to do is copy the media files back to the SCSI and everything will relink to the right bins, etc? Will my program just play? Thanks.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Best way to save current project
by on Jan 16, 2006 at 6:14:42 pm

[Greg] "For example, whenever I hit open fle on Media 100, a list of documents open and I see all of the bin and program documents."

When you create a new Bin or Timeline you need to save them somewhere. I would suggest copying the bins and timelines (wherever you have stored them) also to your FireWire drive. But yes, media files that are copied to a FireWire drive and back will relink to your timeline. If they do not relink automatically use the "Relink Media" command in the "Media" menu. Media 100 will search and relink to your media files.

Return to posts index

Bobby MosaediRe: Best way to save current project
by on Jan 18, 2006 at 4:46:06 pm

Have no worries, as long as you copy the media folder to the other hard drive, media 100 will find it. thats one of media100's true strengths. Before you totally delete your media off your scsi, unmount the scsi drive, open the program and make sure everything links up ok with your firewire drive. If it opens up and plays ok with no probelms, you can be 100% safe to delete the media off the scsi drive.

The only other factor i can think of is linked boris files (assuming you're using media 100i). Did you create any graphics involving outside linking of logos, pictures, videos, etc? make sure you also copy those elements over or else you will notice missing elements from your graphics titles.

If you do not do the procedure i just explained above, and have a copy of the media folders on both the scsi and the firewire drive and mounted simultaneously while opening your project, you have no way of telling if any media files got corrupted during the transfer. And if any of them did, it will default to linking to files on both thh scsi and firewire drives, which you DONT want.

bobby

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]