MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

question for you xserve raid users...

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Mosaedi
question for you xserve raid users...
on Jan 15, 2006 at 5:24:37 am

just got our hands on a fully populated xserve to complete our HD system... fibre channel card and cables are on the way. we plan to buy another powermac desktop to start the transition into final cut pro, but will probably throw media 100sw on it as well. the idea is to have both the media100 hd system and m100sw system to be able to share the media on the xserve raid... what will i need to do to achieve this? can i connect it to both macs at the same time? or will i need to get a fibre channel switch and seperate computer with xsan? im pretty new to the idea of centralized network storage, so any additional background info would help. thanks

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: question for you xserve raid users...
by
on Jan 15, 2006 at 11:20:23 am

[Bobby Mosaedi] "what will i need to do to achieve this? can i connect it to both macs at the same time? or will i need to get a fibre channel switch and seperate computer with xsan?"

You need a FC switch to connect more than one computer to each XServe RAID channel. The qLogic 5200 are quite good for that. And you need a SAN management software like either XSAN or e.g. FibreJet. The big benefit of FibreJet is that you can install and maintain it by yourself, and that it it much cheaper (overall) than XSAN, since you don

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosaedi
on Jan 18, 2006 at 4:35:16 pm

Thanks for the response, Floh. I will keep that in mind when the new computer arrives. (We're deciding whether to wait for the intel desktop to come out or whether to get a quad core) But for now, i also would like to ask how any of you have your drives striped. I was thinking either RAID 3 or RAID 5. I have also bought UPSs for each power module. I will be using these drives primarily for HD video editing, but would not be limited to, say transporting the entire system for HD playback for a live show. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jan 18, 2006 at 5:03:42 pm

For uncompressed 10bit HD do RAID 50. Set up each channel as RAID 5 and stripe the two partitions together using RAID0. If you want you can partition the RAID50 volume with StorDirector.

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosaedi
on Jan 20, 2006 at 10:49:31 pm

have you seen the limitations of RAID 5 for uncompressed 8 or 10bit? someone ended up jumping the gun on me and formatted them as 2 seperate RAID 5 arrays. what problems should i expect to see if i dont go RAID 50?

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosaedi
on Jan 21, 2006 at 10:00:19 pm

now that both drives are raid 5, can i use apples disk utility to format them together as one? or can this also be done within RAID admin?

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jan 22, 2006 at 10:26:12 am

You need to do that in e.g, DiskUtility. Raid Admin cannot do that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]