MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

install both Mac OSX and OS 9.2 using Media 100ixs on G4

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katrina Speight
install both Mac OSX and OS 9.2 using Media 100ixs on G4
on Jan 11, 2006 at 6:35:36 pm

I realize this is more of a Mac issue than a Media 100 problem but everyone is so knowledgeable at this site that I figured I'd give it a go. I have heard that it is not advisable to run my version of Media 100 using OS X because of some unresolved issues. So, I have am running on OS 9.2. The problem is that I have purchased a new printer and it works only with OS X. Can I install both operating systems and switch between them depending on what software or printer I want to use. Is it even possible to install both? Thanks

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
Re: install both Mac OSX and OS 9.2 using Media 100ixs on G4
on Jan 11, 2006 at 7:54:06 pm

In theory yes, but if you could give us the model of G4 you are using, the Media 100 board and software version you have, we can have a better stab at answering.

Most (if not all) G4's can be dual boot if you are already running os9. You can't switch between the OSs without re-booting though, which may be more trouble than it is worth if it is just for printing.

Though I'd wager that once you've started using OSX, you won't want to go back to OS9!

Return to posts index

matt short
on Jan 12, 2006 at 9:45:26 am

Ideally you'd want to partition your drive & install the different OSs to each partition, or install a second drive to boot from or install OSX to a firewire drive and boot from that. That being said, I have a G4 450 with OS9.2.2 & OSX.3.3 installed on the same drive with no partitions and I switch between the two all the time with no problems. I run Media100 in OS9 and use the G4 in OSX as a node for my renderfarm. As Kieran stated you have to re-boot to switch the OS but OSX only takes a fraction of the time to boot as OS9.

Return to posts index

Katrina Speight
on Jan 14, 2006 at 12:02:59 am

Thanks for info Matt. Now...once I install OSX, how do I let G4 know what system I'd like to use, OSX or OS9 ??? I am not going to partition my drives if that is an issue. Appreciate your quick response!
Kat

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Jan 14, 2006 at 1:19:35 am

you can select the operating system to use in a number of ways. First you can select the "start-up disc" in the control panel or system preferences. Select the OS you want and restart.

Alternatively hold the "alt" key down whilst booting the mac and a selection screen will appear. The system searches your drives for available OS's after which you can select the one you want.

Return to posts index

Katrina Speight
on Jan 14, 2006 at 7:24:11 am

Thanks again...I'll let you know how it works out...

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jan 14, 2006 at 10:20:08 am

[Kieran Matthew] "Alternatively hold the "alt" key down whilst booting the mac and a selection screen will appear. The system searches your drives for available OS's after which you can select the one you want."

If your two OS versions on the same partition this most likely won

Return to posts index

matt short
on Jan 15, 2006 at 2:02:43 pm

[Floh] "If your two OS versions on the same partition this most likely won

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]