MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

OT: mini DV playback deck?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey StonerOT: mini DV playback deck?
by on Jan 11, 2006 at 6:03:57 pm

i need a mini DV deck that i will use for playback only. only a couple hours use per week. just something to dump raw footage into my editing system. after all these years, i'm surprised that the best price i can find is the JCV miniDV/SVHS deck for $700.00.

anyone know any other options?? hate to sink that much $$ into something that won't be used much. i've considered buying an inexpensive miniDV camera to use as my playback deck but i don't think they're built for that kind of use, even in small doses.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: OT: mini DV playback deck?
by on Jan 11, 2006 at 7:35:27 pm

Although I think that you've already ruled it out, I'd avoid those JVC combo decks, I heard that the DV decks in them are not very reliable at all.

I'd look out for a second hand VX1000 camcorder. The transports inside them seemed robust enough, (I used one as a source machine for a while) and since everyone ditched them in favour of PD-150's (then 150's for 170's and now 170's for the HD ones) they should be quite cheap.

Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: OT: mini DV playback deck?
by on Jan 12, 2006 at 3:46:02 pm

The best deck of this type is the Sony GV-D300E if they still make it but it cost as much or maybe more.

Return to posts index

CharlieRe: OT: mini DV playback deck?
by on Jan 13, 2006 at 10:47:20 pm

A wedding videographer told me he uses very inexpensive minDV camcorders as playback decks for loading footage via 1394. He buys them at the big box consumer electronic stores and gets the store's extended warranty upgrade. He said that after a year or so of heavy use the heads got worn out on one, so he brings the camcorder back and since it is under warrenty they gave him a new one. (just telling the story, mind you, I do not think this is the best way of doing business). It is interesting that the miniDV camcorders are so cheap now, and vtrs continue to be pricey...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved