MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

SW workflow

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg
SW workflow
by
on Jan 1, 2006 at 5:36:20 pm

I've read the SW workflow PDF from media 100, and I have a few questions.

1 "Copy media and bins to a firewire drive" How do you do this? Will the bins automatically show up on my firwire drive?

2. "Copy media to faster drives". I'm editing Two half hour training videos on my Media 100i 8.1 system G4 1.42 ghz. All my media is on Scsi drives. I edit at 300kb. If i were to copy this media and bins to a firewire drive and edit on my Powerbook 1.67 ghz system, would it work at 300kb?

3."Finish project on media 100 sw and use highest quality codec to export back to media 100i" What is the highest qualuty codec you would recommend? Will this work from my powerbook to my mac G4?

4. "Import QT movie into Media 100i system" How will this effect my project already on the system? Will there be conflict?

5. How does one make a copy of their project to work on Media 100SW and import to Media 100i?

Thanks so much for your help. Happy new year!

Return to posts index

CleverMoniker
Re: SW workflow
on Jan 2, 2006 at 4:58:17 pm

1 ...Will the bins automatically show up on my firwire drive?

Not sure what you mean here, let's start from scratch.

-Copy any Programs and Bins you need to the FW drive. Don't bother with the Project, my experience is that they can be a bit flaky when you move them like this.
-Copy any media folders you need to the FW drive.
-Not a bad idea to then move the Programs and Bins to the internal drive (delete them from the FW drive after they are on the internal) so the Firewire drive only has to worry about the media.
-Create a new Project and bring the Programs and Bins into that new Project. You can either use File>Open... to do this or you can drag and drop them to the Project window.

2 ...If i were to copy this media and bins to a firewire drive and edit on my Powerbook 1.67 ghz system, would it work at 300kb?

-You try it and we'll find out! ;-) Seriously though...it "probably" will work and, since you're working with copies of all your original files, it's not like you're going to kill your project if it doesn't work.

3 ...What is the highest quality codec you would recommend? Will this work from my powerbook to my mac G4?

-The "highest quality" would probably be Animation with the quality slider set to "Best" but...that's going to take a long time and be a HUGE file. I would just export as Self-Contained.
-Hmmm...or, maybe you could export By-Reference then bring the By-Ref movie AND the media files on the FW drive back over to the G4. I've never tried this but it sounds like it should work. If anyone else has tired this please chime in with the results.

4. "Import QT movie into Media 100i system" How will this effect my project already on the system? Will there be conflict?

-Should be no problem at all as the newly imported stuff is coming from different media. However, to be extra safe, just create a new Project on the G4 and import into THAT one instead. Then it will all be kept completely separate.

5. How does one make a copy of their project to work on Media 100SW and import to Media 100i?

If you followed the above steps, you just did it :-) Just remember, once the Project, Program and Bin files are opened and saved in M100sw, they will NOT open in Media 100 i anymore (only in M100sw or M100HD). This is why it's so important to work from copies of your files and media.

Hope this helps and Happy New Year to you too.

Return to posts index

Greg
Floh or Clever follow-up how to copy bins and programs
by
on Jan 4, 2006 at 1:49:50 am

How would I copy my bins and a programs to my firewire drive?

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Floh or Clever follow-up how to copy bins and programs
by
on Jan 4, 2006 at 8:05:34 am

[Greg] "How would I copy my bins and a programs to my firewire drive?"

You do save your Bins and Programs somewhere, don

Return to posts index

Greg
Re: thanks floh
by
on Jan 5, 2006 at 5:06:36 pm

Thanks Floh...Sorry for the dumb questions, It's just that I've put so many hours into this project that I don't want to screw it up now. Thanks for your patience.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]