MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

need for more drive space

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregneed for more drive space
by on Dec 22, 2005 at 7:22:11 pm

I have m100i 8.1 on a G4 1.42 Mhz I have two 18GB Glyph Scsi drives 10,000RPM and One 72GB Rorke Data drive. I really need more Scsi drive space, but I'm not sure what I should look for and buy. I edit primarily from and to Beta SP. If I could find something on Ebay that would be great. Any suggestions?

Also, I just bought a Powerbook 17" 1.67 Ghz. I'm considering M100 SW. I've been told on this board that I can copy from my Mac G4 a project to a firewire drive then edit that project on my Powerbook, and import it back to my Mac G4. Will this work? Someone said to make a copy of the project . Can you exxplain how to do this for best results? Any drawbacks? Thanks

Return to posts index

FlohRe: need for more drive space
by on Dec 22, 2005 at 7:55:15 pm

[Greg] "I have m100i 8.1 on a G4 1.42 Mhz I have two 18GB Glyph Scsi drives 10,000RPM and One 72GB Rorke Data drive. I really need more Scsi drive space, but I'm not sure what I should look for and buy. I edit primarily from and to Beta SP. If I could find something on Ebay that would be great. Any suggestions?"

As a cheap solution I would think about investing into SATA storage, which is quick and cheap. You will need a SATA board like the Tempo-X ($199) and some internal or external SATA drives (400GB internal for $ 279 without searching much at CompUSA).

[Greg] "Also, I just bought a Powerbook 17" 1.67 Ghz. I'm considering M100 SW. I've been told on this board that I can copy from my Mac G4 a project to a firewire drive then edit that project on my Powerbook, and import it back to my Mac G4. Will this work?"

You can open bins, timelines, projects and media files from Media 100 i in Media 100 sw. But once opened in sw you cannot open the bins, timelines and projects in Media 100 i anymore, since the files have been saved from a newer version. So you cannot go back and forth between sw and i immediately. But if you have finished your work on sw you can export a self-contained file from sw (which will stay natively in the Media 100 i codec and will export very fast) that you can reimport into Media 100 i and master to tape from there.
You should download a full functional trial version of sw at borisfx.com and see if it works for you.

Return to posts index

GregRe: need for more drive space
by on Dec 22, 2005 at 10:19:05 pm

Floh,

Do you mean to say that I can buy something like a Ultra16 500GB Hard Drive
7200RPM, Internal, SATA/300 and I can edit with this? Don't I need to have something with 10,000RPM speed?

Are you suggesting I get rid of my SCSI drives and just go with these drives?

Also, since I can't go back and forth between M100i and SW, would I need to finish my project on SW?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: need for more drive space
by on Dec 23, 2005 at 12:03:00 am

[Greg] "Do you mean to say that I can buy something like a Ultra16 500GB Hard Drive
7200RPM, Internal, SATA/300 and I can edit with this? Don't I need to have something with 10,000RPM speed? "

Media100i does 2 streams max at the same time, and usually only one at a time that is not even lossless but compressed, plus some audio tracks. Modern drives will handle these data rates easily. Or to be on the extremely safe side buy 2 400GB (or 250GB) drives and stripe them as RAID0 with Apple DiskUtility.

[Greg] "Are you suggesting I get rid of my SCSI drives and just go with these drives?"

Yes. Most of our problems we ever had were related to SCSI cabling and termination problems. After switching to FibreChannel our life became much easier. And SATA will be the same, it is a much more modern architecture.

[Greg] "Also, since I can't go back and forth between M100i and SW, would I need to finish my project on SW?"

Probably this would make sense. And once you got in touch with the additional features of sw and the improved speed you want to stay there anyway ;-) Only the lack of I/O probably will be problematic.

Return to posts index

GregThanks floh
by on Dec 24, 2005 at 3:13:01 pm

You are really a great help here. Have a happy holiday!

Return to posts index

tPixRe: need for more drive space
by on Dec 27, 2005 at 2:42:11 pm

Save yourself a lot of $$$...

You can put four ATA hard drives in any MDD G4 Mac (including the 1.42 dual which I have 1.6 terabytes in - 4x400Gig) without using a pci expansion card. The controller closest to the processer is ATA100, and the one near the front is ATA66. Each drive chassis will hold two drives.

I have never had a problem with M100 300kb playback and without RAIDing the drives (I always target audio and video to different drives for better performance).

If you have only your M100 card that leaves you with three open pci slots. I would suggest that you leave the backplates to the pci slots off, and perhaps purchase an exhaust fan (as I have done) that takes up one pci slot as these machines have a heat pocket at the top.

Currently here in Canada 4x400 Gig drives - 1.6 terabytes - will cost you about $1100CDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]