MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

controlling DVW-A500P

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tugs M. MacCowcontrolling DVW-A500P
by on Dec 19, 2005 at 4:46:08 pm

I normally work exclusively in DVCAM but have recently got some DigiBeta jobs. I've hired in a DVW-A500P deck and have been unable to control it. I'm running v7.5 on a G4 with Pipeline MediaDeck Controller though a Keyspan USB to serial interface. COuld someone point me to the correct settings for the controller? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Topher944Re: controlling DVW-A500P
by on Dec 20, 2005 at 12:34:40 am

Hey Tugs,
Check to see if you have the latest pipeline version. They stopped shipping it with medial 100 several versions ago and an update is a couple hundred bucks. They're in Hawaii and you can find them on google. The newer versions of m100 have a new deck control software. Hope it helps. Chris

Return to posts index

FlohRe: controlling DVW-A500P
by on Dec 20, 2005 at 12:57:20 am

V7.5 does ship with the Diaquest DQTimeCoder as deck control, and this works nicely with the DVW-A500P. Go to Preferences->Device control and select DQTimeCoder as device control with the correct RS422 port on your keyspan and you should be good to go.

Return to posts index

Tugs M. MacCowRe: controlling DVW-A500P
by on Dec 22, 2005 at 3:54:32 pm

Thanks very much to both of you for your help! I have one additional question regarding cabling. I have a 9-pin cable running from the Keyspan which I can, I understand, attach an RS-422 to RS-232 adaptor to. I also gather that you can now get USB to RS-232 cables. Wouldn't that be a better option, doing away with the Keyspan unit entirely? Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 22, 2005 at 4:03:18 pm

[Tugs M. MacCow] "I also gather that you can now get USB to RS-232 cables. Wouldn't that be a better option, doing away with the Keyspan unit entirely?"

What do you want to control? Professional decks like the DVW-A500 do have a RS422 connection for deck control. So wor what would you want to use RS232? There are some prosumer decks that have RS232 (like some UVW-decks (BetaSP)), but most video gear uses RS422.

Return to posts index

Tugs M. MacCowRe: controlling DVW-A500P
by on Dec 22, 2005 at 6:37:27 pm

It's rather puzzling: The DWW-A500P doesn't have anything that's marked as being RS-422, but it does have a 25-pin connector which is explicitly marked RS-232C. There are 4 other D-type connectors, marked "Control Panel," "Remote In," "Remote Out" and "Video Control." None of these are described in the manual as having anything to do with RS-422, but I wonder if the Remote In might possibly, given that it's a 9-pin. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 22, 2005 at 6:47:01 pm

[Tugs M. MacCow] "None of these are described in the manual as having anything to do with RS-422, but I wonder if the Remote In might possibly, given that it's a 9-pin. Any ideas?"

As usual I have many ideas ;-)
Yes, the Remote in is what you want to use. This is RS422/deck control, and it has a Remote button on the front.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]