MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

controlling DVW-A500P

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tugs M. MacCow
controlling DVW-A500P
on Dec 19, 2005 at 4:46:08 pm

I normally work exclusively in DVCAM but have recently got some DigiBeta jobs. I've hired in a DVW-A500P deck and have been unable to control it. I'm running v7.5 on a G4 with Pipeline MediaDeck Controller though a Keyspan USB to serial interface. COuld someone point me to the correct settings for the controller? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Topher944
Re: controlling DVW-A500P
on Dec 20, 2005 at 12:34:40 am

Hey Tugs,
Check to see if you have the latest pipeline version. They stopped shipping it with medial 100 several versions ago and an update is a couple hundred bucks. They're in Hawaii and you can find them on google. The newer versions of m100 have a new deck control software. Hope it helps. Chris

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Dec 20, 2005 at 12:57:20 am

V7.5 does ship with the Diaquest DQTimeCoder as deck control, and this works nicely with the DVW-A500P. Go to Preferences->Device control and select DQTimeCoder as device control with the correct RS422 port on your keyspan and you should be good to go.

Return to posts index

Tugs M. MacCow
on Dec 22, 2005 at 3:54:32 pm

Thanks very much to both of you for your help! I have one additional question regarding cabling. I have a 9-pin cable running from the Keyspan which I can, I understand, attach an RS-422 to RS-232 adaptor to. I also gather that you can now get USB to RS-232 cables. Wouldn't that be a better option, doing away with the Keyspan unit entirely? Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Dec 22, 2005 at 4:03:18 pm

[Tugs M. MacCow] "I also gather that you can now get USB to RS-232 cables. Wouldn't that be a better option, doing away with the Keyspan unit entirely?"

What do you want to control? Professional decks like the DVW-A500 do have a RS422 connection for deck control. So wor what would you want to use RS232? There are some prosumer decks that have RS232 (like some UVW-decks (BetaSP)), but most video gear uses RS422.

Return to posts index

Tugs M. MacCow
on Dec 22, 2005 at 6:37:27 pm

It's rather puzzling: The DWW-A500P doesn't have anything that's marked as being RS-422, but it does have a 25-pin connector which is explicitly marked RS-232C. There are 4 other D-type connectors, marked "Control Panel," "Remote In," "Remote Out" and "Video Control." None of these are described in the manual as having anything to do with RS-422, but I wonder if the Remote In might possibly, given that it's a 9-pin. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Dec 22, 2005 at 6:47:01 pm

[Tugs M. MacCow] "None of these are described in the manual as having anything to do with RS-422, but I wonder if the Remote In might possibly, given that it's a 9-pin. Any ideas?"

As usual I have many ideas ;-)
Yes, the Remote in is what you want to use. This is RS422/deck control, and it has a Remote button on the front.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]