MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Consistent Crashing with G4/Media 100..Please Help!

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt M, PAConsistent Crashing with G4/Media 100..Please Help!
by on Dec 14, 2005 at 6:14:22 am

Hello all...I found this forum and coudl really use some expert help.

I am running a G4 dual 1ghz with 1 gig of RAM. We are using Media 100 8.2.2, OS 10.3.8, RED 3.0.2.

We get regular crashes of "This application has unexpectedly quit" errors. When looking at the crash log, it is always a "EXC_BAD_ACCESS", with disk fragment errors in the lower lines.

We have done a complete fresh install or all programs. We have swapped Vincent boards. We have swapped RAM. We have installed a new hard drive...yet the crashes keep coming. Even the media drive was sent to the maker and tested.

Can someone help bring this to an end? Thanks, and if more info is needed, please let me know.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Consistent Crashing with G4/Media 100..Please Help!
by on Dec 14, 2005 at 7:20:38 pm

[Matt M, PA] "We get regular crashes of "This application has unexpectedly quit" errors. When looking at the crash log, it is always a "EXC_BAD_ACCESS", with disk fragment errors in the lower lines."

What do yo call regular? Once a day? Once every hour? Every 10 minutes?

Is there something special you

Return to posts index

Matt M, PARe: Consistent Crashing with G4/Media 100..Please Help!
by on Dec 14, 2005 at 8:57:07 pm

Thanks! Here is some more....

Crashing can occur as often as every few minutes, or hours apart. One day last week, it must have gone down 40 times over the course of the day.

I have seen it crash when; previewing in RED, opening RED (as Media 100 plug-in), while returning to Media 100 from RED, while opening settings in RED, while exporting from RED, when rendering with Media 100 (RED comp). Other programs have also crashed, but not with this frequency.

We have a new 160gig internal drive, and an older CTI array. I have set it to use the internal drive, or external array...still crashes. We have the ATTO Express PCI Pro UL3P SCSI card as suggested by Media 100. Firmware is 1.6.6.

The G4 is located off the floor, with no obstructions. I also would doubt heat as an issue, as it crashed lots this morning...and this afternoon was better.

The only other MAC I have is a 9600-350...not very useful here.

Apple thought this was either the hard drive or the Vincent board. I have run the Apple hardware test...nothing found there.

I have just downloaded the latest RED update to try. It seems that RED is in many of the issues the machine has, but tech support at RED seems to think it is Media 100. MEdia 100 tech support has been exemplary..but the problem presists.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Consistent Crashing with G4/Media 100..Please Help!
by on Dec 14, 2005 at 9:46:52 pm

It sounds like your problems seem to be more or less related to Red?!? There is an updater to Red 3.04 on the Boris site, maybe you should give it a try. Have you tried deleting the Red prefs?
Which version of QuickTime do you use? And do you use the latest version of the ATTO drivers for your card? And is your card placement as it is suggested in the CPG?
How is your additional internal drive connected to your Mac? Do you use the UltraATA 100 connector for the drive? You should not connect a drive >128GB to the UltraATA66 connector, since this controller only can use drives up to 128GB reliably. Maybe this is the source for your problem...

Return to posts index

Matt M, PARe: Consistent Crashing with G4/Media 100..Please Help!
by on Dec 15, 2005 at 1:24:52 am

It sure does indeed sound like most of my issues are related to RED. Since posting, and completely re-installing all programs, OS< etc. I know cannot get my OS9 partition to be recognized and some MAC experts are telling me that my controller is no good. The last rep I spoke to said that this drive should be no problem.

I am using the latest version of the firmware for the ATTO card, Quick Time 6.3, and the cards are installed the way MEdia 100 suggests.

Finally, I have trashed the prefs more than once.

Return to posts index

matt shortRe: Consistent Crashing with G4/Media 100..Please Help!
by on Dec 15, 2005 at 9:46:50 am

[Matt M, PA] "The last rep I spoke to said that this drive should be no problem. "
Floh: "You should not connect a drive >128GB to the UltraATA66 connector, since this controller only can use drives up to 128GB reliably. Maybe this is the source for your problem... "

I would pull the drive first. Don't believe everything the 'rep' tells you. I learned that one the hard way.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: Consistent Crashing with G4/Media 100..Please Help!
by on Dec 15, 2005 at 9:57:41 am

Another thing to check, if you haven't already, is the open GL settings. I have it turned off, despite having a compatible graphics card as, if I remember rightly, attempting to use it caused crashing.

Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]