MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

External Firewire Death with Media 100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Topher944
External Firewire Death with Media 100
on Dec 7, 2005 at 6:12:00 am

I was utilizing a Seagate External Firewire 400 drive on my G4 867 M100 8.2.2/OS10.3.9 with realtime fx and p6000/dv board. I had no problems capturing to this drive. On editing/playback I would here a mechanical sound out of the drive (arm engaging?) and then the dreaded green screen crash. After dismounting the drive, I would have to manually crash the system to get a restart (error 19003). This happened about every 20 minutes or so until I finally xferred all the files onto a second systems internal drives G4 733 M100 8.2.2/OS10.3.9 with a vincent 601. The external drive crashed again on this system and now will not mount at all. Is this a firewire/M100 conflict? Is this just a bad drive? Who do I contact for reliable data recovery that won't cost reproductive organs before I exchange the dead 6 month old drive at Seagate.(In tens of thousands of hours of seagate drive operation this is my first failure - did I do anything to cause this?)

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: External Firewire Death with Media 100
by
on Dec 7, 2005 at 8:13:28 am

This really sounds like a bad drive. One thing you could try though is to either put the drive into another FireWire chassis if you have one or to put it into one of the G4s internally if the drive is less than 128GB. The G4s you have only support drives smaller than 128GB on their internal controllers, so if it is larger it won

Return to posts index

Harley Michailuck
on Dec 7, 2005 at 1:37:02 pm

[Topher944] "I was utilizing a Seagate External Firewire 400 drive on my G4 867 M100 8.2.2/OS10.3.9 with realtime fx and p6000/dv board."

This has been covered here before... I believe it's the old realtime fx and FW hard drive conflict that has been known for three or four years now. Do a search in this forum for 'realtime fx' and you'll find lots of related posts - most recently answered by Floh in this post.

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=4&postid=85...

Best,
Harley

Harley Michailuck
Brass Orchid Post fx
Saskatoon, SK Canada

http://www.brassorchid.com

Return to posts index

Topher944
on Dec 7, 2005 at 5:32:05 pm

Thanks for the input friends. I learned of the realtime problem from this website. That's why I tried it on the non-realtime fx system with the same reaction from the drive. Since its a 400gb drive with 300gbs of info on it I can't put it into my G4 (will look for another external case to try). Any suggestions on data recovery programs or vendors in the L.A. area? Thanks again for your comments!

Return to posts index

Felix Halter
on Dec 7, 2005 at 6:10:13 pm

I recovered a bad drive in putting it in the refrigerator or in the freezer for 30 min. or 1 hour (put it in a plastic bag first and try different lengths of time). It was only a 60 GB drive but as long as it was cold I could copy the data to another drive. It started to go bad again after 40 GB so I had to cool it down again. Worked nicely. Read that on the iternet somewhere that recovery companies do the same thing sometimes.

Good luck,

Felix

Return to posts index

Matt Sowder
on Dec 7, 2005 at 7:52:53 pm

I have a 200 gig drive on an external FW case on my G4's I have them partioned to under 100gig each. I don't mix program content between the two so that any given project I work on won't access both partitions at once. No crashes works fine. Don't know if that helps. I'm not sure if I'm running the same set up you are but so far so good.

Matt Sowder
Fiddler's Ridge Productions

Return to posts index

The King
on Dec 8, 2005 at 1:28:18 pm

Its also worth-while to check your energy saver control panel to make sure that "put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" is not turned on. If it happens after about 20 minutes that's what it sounds like.

Return to posts index

Topher944
on Dec 8, 2005 at 6:10:41 pm

All powersaving settings are off though that did hit me that maybe the m100 save was causing some error. Anyone have any thoughts on that possibility? Any hints on data recovery software or houses in the LA area? Thanks for your input!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]