MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

m100 to compressor 2 settings anyone?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jamiem100 to compressor 2 settings anyone?
by on Dec 3, 2005 at 12:46:51 am

Trying to adjust setting in compressor to regain some contrast that gets lost in the difference between the 601 color space and the rgb color space. Exporting an edit just to reimport it to add contrast then off to compression is too big of a time hit, so i've been playing around with the filter settings built into compressor. I took some color bars from the media 100 exported them straight and then put a contrast of +16 on another set. Taking these 2 files into compressor I then used the osx digital color meter to try and match the contrast of the 2 files with the varous filters in compressor. The results were off on the final burned version so i've been tweeking and burning with better and better results but am still unhappy with the results so far. I know that this is a known issue but has anyone had any luck making these adjustmenst in compressor 2.

Return to posts index

Wayne AblerRe: m100 to compressor 2 settings anyone?
by on Dec 6, 2005 at 5:29:56 pm

You may find that you need to adjust both brightness and contrast to achieve good results. The one time I used compressor 2 with Media 100 HD I set compressor's brightness to to (-5.6) and the contrast to (+3.3).

This was just a totally fly by the seat of my pants adjustment and it worked out ok. Funny thing is I when viewing the output of the burned disc it appeared slightly different than viewing the the MPEG stream in DVD-SP or QuickTime player.

I haven't gotten around to trying something more scientific because most of our encoding is done via a tape based hardware encoder.

Good Luck

Wayne Abler
UW-La Crosse

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: m100 to compressor 2 settings anyone?
by on Dec 7, 2005 at 1:33:05 pm

I found a gamma correction of 1.2 helped enormously to make video look good. I think it has something to do with the way Apple codecs keep their gamma at 1.8 rather than 2.2 like Media 100 (1.8 x 1.2 = 2.2 approx)

That said I always did a levels adjustment in Media 100 rather than experimenting with the brightness and contrast in Compressor, so maybe the brightness/contrast adjustments mentioned may do the same job as the gamma - something to try though!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved