MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

How does changing the Media Settings effect the project?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome RobbinsHow does changing the Media Settings effect the project?
by on Nov 23, 2005 at 6:50:38 pm

After digitizing an hour of video clips I happened to check the Media Settings. They were all set at Natural and at online 60. I normally have them set at HDR and 300.

Does this mean that when the data came in it came it at a poor quality and will be poorer going out too. should I just start over inporting the video with the desired settings of HDR 300?

thanks,
Jerome

Return to posts index

FlohRe: How does changing the Media Settings effect the project?
by on Nov 23, 2005 at 7:11:17 pm

[Jerome Robbins] "Does this mean that when the data came in it came it at a poor quality and will be poorer going out too."

Yes, you have digitized @

Return to posts index

Jerome RobbinsRe: How does changing the Media Settings effect the project?
by on Nov 23, 2005 at 9:50:35 pm

Floh said, "(if you have a deck with remote) you can edit in 60k and redigitize only the used clips via batch redigitize selected."

I have a sony DSR-30 deck that I usually save to via firewire. I am not sure what you mean by "deck with remote". What ever you are referring to with "redigitizing only the used clips" I do not know how to that.

Maybe it isn't possible in my situation. could you expnad on the process. I am going to do this project over, But I have another one that had some inserted clips that were brought in at the lower quality and I need to fix tht one too.

thanks for your help.
Jerome

Return to posts index

FlohRe: How does changing the Media Settings effect the project?
by on Nov 23, 2005 at 11:35:11 pm

If you use a deck with remote control and TC, like via FireWire or via RS422, you can digitize large amounts of material in an lower (offline) resolution, like 60k. After editing the finished timeline you can select everything in this timeline (CMD-A) and choose "Batch digitize selected" from the Media menu. Then change the image quality to something like 300k, and set trim handles to e.g. 1 second. The system will digitize only the needed material in your timeline from the original tapes again in the higher resolution, based on the TC information and reel numbers entered during the initial digitizing. This is the basic offline to online workflow in NLEs.

Btw. you should use HDR always, regardingless if you digitize at 60k, 300k or whatever. The other settings have some problems under OSX:

Return to posts index

Ernie SantellaRe: How does changing the Media Settings effect the project?
by on Nov 25, 2005 at 4:14:08 pm

What they mean is, if you have a deck that can be controlled by TC, the M100 can go back and redigitize from your bins and timeline with accuracy from the source tapes.

The normal workflow 'used' to be (before large, cheap HD storage) was to digitize at a off-line or low resolution, like 60k. Then after you've finished your editing, you can then have the M100 re-digitize only the shots in your timeline at the highest resolution.

This saves an enormous amount of time and storage space as you could have hours of shots in all your bins, but only use 5 minutes of final shots in the timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]