MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

DVD from Timeline

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex
DVD from Timeline
by
on Nov 1, 2005 at 6:47:35 pm

What is the best compressor to use to make DVDs with?

I've just tried the Video option when exporting a selection to quicktime but after putting it through DVD studio pro I find the colours to be washed out and some obvious pixelating on certain shots.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Alex.

Return to posts index

Bernie Huth
Re: DVD from Timeline
on Nov 1, 2005 at 9:21:51 pm

Hi,

I usually Export by Reference from Media 100 HD. Then I either use BitVice or Apple's Compressor. I prefer BitVice, but I recently had a highly saturated logo that didn't compress well, and found that Compressor did a good job. BitVice has a "Studio RGB" setting that expands the 16-235 range of Media 100's codec to 0-255.

HTH

Bernie Huth

Return to posts index

Alex
by
on Nov 2, 2005 at 7:43:25 pm

Thanks again for your help :)

Alex.

Return to posts index

Alex
by
on Nov 14, 2005 at 8:04:46 pm

Hi,

Thanks for previous advice. I've got to the stage now where I'm testing Builds form DVDSP but whenever I do the resulting video is all jerky, whenever there is movement on screen (eg a hand wave or legs walking) they almost look as though they are strobing.

I've tried exporting by reference files and using export to quicktime using M100's video compressor. Each time I compress these files using Compressor they produce this fault. If I dump the QT file straight into DVDSP there is no strobing but I need to change the colour settings (hence using Compressor).

Are there settings in DVDSP that i'm missing? I've gone through about 20 blank dvds now triyng to get this right!

Thanks

Alex.

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Nov 15, 2005 at 12:42:28 am

Hi. This sounds like a field dominance problem. Compressor allows you to change the field order - try reversing it and see if that makes a difference.

Return to posts index

Alex
by
on Nov 15, 2005 at 10:14:54 am

I thought that too but it doesn't seem to be making any difference - I've tried it on Upper, Lower and Auto with the same results. I'll try again but do you think there's anything else it could be?

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Nov 15, 2005 at 10:33:24 am

Are you working in PAL or NTSC ? When I first started to make DVDs I made a batch that looked fine on the computer monitor, but when played on anything "video" looked jerky etc. Turns out the compressor was working in NTSC and I was feeding it PAL (different frame rates etc).

Return to posts index

Alex
by
on Nov 15, 2005 at 10:58:04 am

I've just checked - it's all Pal (which is correct, I'm working in Pal). The source QT files are PAL and Compressor is working in PAL too.

Any more ideas?

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Nov 15, 2005 at 11:08:33 am

you've probably checked this (as part of above) but you've got DVDSP's disc format set for PAL too ?

Also as a test can you try encoding a piece of draft media and seeing if that's still jerky (just to rule out a field issue cropping up after encoding)

Return to posts index

Alex
by
on Nov 15, 2005 at 11:20:12 am

DVD SP (3 not 4 i've just noticed...) Disk settings are PAL. Wouldn't it all just come out B&W if i'd set it to NTSC? Frame rate is set automatically i assume...

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Nov 15, 2005 at 11:28:52 am

It used to try to convert the PAL to NTSC by fudging the framerates etc. It comes out colour and is actually watchable if your source material is de-interlaced. Things only really kick off if the frames are interlaced.

I think now DVDSP 4 can actually do a "proper" transcode of PAL and NTSC but I haven't tried it yet!

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Nov 15, 2005 at 11:08:54 am

[Alex] "I've just checked - it's all Pal (which is correct, I'm working in Pal). The source QT files are PAL and Compressor is working in PAL too."

Are you using 720*576 media? Creating DVDs from 768 material is tricky.

Return to posts index

Alex
by
on Nov 15, 2005 at 11:21:37 am

720 - we've managed to wean ourselves off 768, using the two was a nightmare!

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Nov 15, 2005 at 10:29:26 am

Have you read the Media 100 explanation regarding DVDSP here? It is not updated to the newest version of DVDSP, but the part about the cropping is still valid for NTSC.

Return to posts index

Alex
by
on Nov 15, 2005 at 11:03:53 am

I'm using PAL, will the Dominance settings be the same?

Had no problems with compressor on the same machine as M100 or one without so I don't understand why that piece suggests deleting the M100 Codec Component but anyway.

Perhaps if I try Bit-Vice...

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Nov 15, 2005 at 11:22:52 am

PAL is top-field first.

And yes, try Bitvice. I find Bitvice to be a "must have" for Media 100 encoding due to the Studio RGB setting. No more washed out, overbright, grey footage.

Return to posts index

Alex
by
on Nov 15, 2005 at 11:28:21 am

I'll give it a go. Thanks for your help :)

Alex.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]