MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Compatibility with new G5

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter DeArmondCompatibility with new G5
by on Oct 19, 2005 at 8:03:00 pm

Will Media 100 HD work with the new G5 (with the PCI Express slot)? If not, can anyone at Media 100 tell us about plans to be compatible with it?

Return to posts index

Steve BayesRe: Compatibility with new G5
by on Oct 20, 2005 at 8:10:30 pm

Peter,

The HDX board is a PCI-X, not PCI Express which is a completely different architecture and form factor. We will not be compatible with the three new G5

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmondRe: Compatibility with new G5
by on Oct 20, 2005 at 8:41:16 pm

Thanks for the reply Steve. For me, and I'm a strange duck, it's not for HD that I want the Media100 HDX card, it's for the reatime SD capabilities. For a new long project I will be doing almost all green screen work, and I saw how well realtime alpha channels performed at the demo I attended last year. That means using the HDX card.

I do hope Media100 will seriously consider moving to PCI Express. Eventually all the workstation Macs, including the future Intel-based Macs, probably will use PCI Express. AJA and Blackmagic have already announced or made available PCI Express versions of their cards. I know it must be a challenging time with the ownership transition, but I think it would be a mighty strong statement if Media 100 committed to a future PCI Express product.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Compatibility with new G5
by on Oct 21, 2005 at 12:05:13 pm

[Peter DeArmond] "For me, and I'm a strange duck, it's not for HD that I want the Media100 HDX card, it's for the reatime SD capabilities. For a new long project I will be doing almost all green screen work, and I saw how well realtime alpha channels performed at the demo I attended last year. That means using the HDX card."

All realtime effeccts (except HD up/downconversion) is done on the CPU, and so the realtime performance on sw and HD is identical on identical CPUs. All compression/decompression, keying, moving alphas and everything is CPU based.

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmondRe: Compatibility with new G5
by on Oct 21, 2005 at 2:33:48 pm

Thanks for clarifying that for me, Floh. It makes a tempting case for buying a new G5 and using the SW product. However, the SW product will only support Firewire (thinking out loud here), so bringing in my video via component or SDI would require the HDX card, right?

So... (still thinking out loud) if I digitized footage on my old Media 100 system, it should be easy to move it onto the new G5 and edit there, but outputting to tape from there would be limited to firewire.

Hmm, has anyone else thought this through? Pretent you're getting a the new G5 and you're a Media 100 user. What would you do?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2005 at 2:37:02 pm

You can export a Self-contained clip from sw (very fast) and a audio mixdown and import that into Media 100 i for mastering. The question is how often you have to do that and how much you want to spend. HD obviously has the benefit of seeing your video on a video-monitor all the time, but it costs some money to get the hardware. Probably I would try the workflow with sw and if this works for you, fine. If not you should probably start thinking about a HD system, since this will make I/O tasks much easier.

Return to posts index

andy stintonRe: Compatibility with new G5
by on Oct 23, 2005 at 4:56:24 pm

Floh Correct me if I'm wrong but Media 100 HD does not offer Firewire I/O .This to me makes no sense and probaly the only reason that I'm not going to purchase that product.. This takes me down a nother avenue . I can't share a project between SW and Media 100i ...

Though I don't want to learn a new interface it's this sort of scenario that has started me looking at other NLE's.

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

LukkeeRe: Compatibility with new G5
by on Oct 23, 2005 at 10:30:55 pm

An analoge /digital converter box might help until it all gets sorted out. Promax and Miranda comes to mind as makers of these boxes. I have used one successfully for the past few years digitizing to a off-line windows system that only uses firewire from my beta sp and dvcam decks.
Hope this helps.
lc

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2005 at 6:23:05 am

[andy stinton] "Floh Correct me if I'm wrong but Media 100 HD does not offer Firewire I/O .This to me makes no sense and probaly the only reason that I'm not going to purchase that product."

Andy,

right now neither sw nor HD are using FireWire I/O. But once the FW I/O for sw is finished there is no reason not to use the same technology in HD also. The application is more or less the same, and I would be very surprised if this feature which took some time to develop and would help many Media 100 HD users would not be implemented in a new version of HD also.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]