help using Firewire drives on G4 with m-100i XR 7.0.3

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Grauel
help using Firewire drives on G4 with m-100i XR 7.0.3
on Oct 18, 2005 at 10:38:47 am

The system is:
Media 100i XR with P6000 board, E6000 board, DV600 and SD 600 daughter
cards, plus both breakout boxes (standard and SDI/digital audio)
Software version is 7.0.3

The boards are installed in a G4 733:
System 9.2.2
768 MB RAM
Superdrive for burning DVD's
Two monitor cards, both will drive VGA or Flat screen monitors
including Cinema displays
Dual channel ATTO fast SCSI card

You cannot use firewire drives as media drives. As i understand it, There is a
conflict with the Media 100 DV option that precludes using firewire
drives as media drives. The system locks up and you must reboot.

Would a workaround be to remove the ATTO Card and install a 3 port firewire card?

Firewire drives would be a logical solution.

Another question on internal drives, would a standard ultra ATA drive (like 200gb) provide enough data rate to work at 300kb without risk of problems. I could also install Serial ATA card and drive but according to my calculations, this would be serious overkill for the data rate limitations of the media 100 xr. this would allow me to get rid of the atto card and the SCSI arrays which i would realy like to do, if for nothing else... SPACE and cable management!

Doing mostly event and industrial work, I am not moving to HD anytime soon, future migration to HD would require a serious inventment new cameras and editing systems so with the current household rate of 12% i'll hold off on that until the numbers rise significantly.

Also... is MAC OS 9.2.2 limited to usb 1 or could a combination firewire card/usb 2.0 hub solve that problem too?

Comments and suggestions????

thanks
Wayne

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: help using Firewire drives on G4 with m-100i XR 7.0.3
by
on Oct 18, 2005 at 12:56:16 pm

[Wayne Grauel] "You cannot use firewire drives as media drives. As i understand it, There is a conflict with the Media 100 DV option that precludes using firewire drives as media drives. The system locks up and you must reboot. "

As far as I can remember the conflict is not with the DV option but with the HDRFX board (the realtime effects board). And I guess that adding a FW board does not change anything there.

Installing a SATA or Ultra ATA 133 board would be an option and the drives should be pretty much fast enough to deliver 300k/frame data rates. But I would recommend an SATA interface, since they are relatively cheap and some can also be used for external SATA storage as well.

Return to posts index

CameronT
Re: help using Firewire drives on G4 with m-100i XR 7.0.3
on Oct 19, 2005 at 8:04:43 am

Yep, as Floh suggested, installing a SATA card and using SATA drives is another option and I believe a better one than using FW drives. some of my customers experiencing problems with FW drives eg, FW drives not detected. I've installed SATA card on two machines and so far they are working fine. Media 100i v7.5.1 OS 9.2 on G4. However, as Floh pointed out, there seem to be a conflict with the Realtime FX board. Took that out and SATA drives works perfectly!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]