MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Using the M100 software only version

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Holzman
Using the M100 software only version
on Sep 22, 2005 at 1:53:57 pm

For an upcoming project I won't have access to my office M100 so I want to see if the M100 sw only version can be used. I usually work on a dual 500 using M100i and system 9. For this project I'll have a new powerbook with 500 megs of RAM.

The program is very simple. About 200 scanned photos that need moves (which I'll do in AE) and then synched to music. The output will be MPEG 2 (DVD).

My question are:

What is the minimum computer (speed, RAM) can I use for this?

What codec should I use to output the photos in AE. Quality is important but so is speed because of the short turn around time. Normally I would use Animation but I don't know how the sw only version handles various codecs.

In terms of exporting, can I just make a self contained M100 QT file and then use QT or another program (Compressor, Bitvice) to make the MPEG2 file?

Thanks very much.

Paul

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Using the M100 software only version
by
on Sep 22, 2005 at 2:29:13 pm

[Paul Holzman] "What is the minimum computer (speed, RAM) can I use for this?"

1GB Ram and a G4 processor. The faster the better, and Dual-G5 preferred (but obviously not available in a PowerBook).

[Paul Holzman] "Normally I would use Animation but I don't know how the sw only version handles various codecs. "

Media 100 sw and HD can mix and play back various codecs in realtime, including DV, Animation, Media 100 i and others. Probably Animation will be the best choice for you in terms of speed. The Media 100 i codec would result in smaller files but needs more CPU power when being decompressed for playback, which can cause problems on a PowerBook. Animation or the "lossless" setting from AE which is based on the Animation codec should be fine.

[Paul Holzman] "In terms of exporting, can I just make a self contained M100 QT file and then use QT or another program (Compressor, Bitvice) to make the MPEG2 file?"

Yes, you can export by-ref, self containing or QuickTime files from sw as you can from Media 100 i, and you can use them in BitVice (Compressor does not use the correct Colorspace for Media 100 i files, giving you results with not enough contrast).

Return to posts index

Paul Holzman
Re: Using the M100 software only version
on Sep 22, 2005 at 4:13:28 pm

[Floh] "Yes, you can export by-ref, self containing or QuickTime files from sw as you can from Media 100 i, and you can use them in BitVice (Compressor does not use the correct Colorspace for Media 100 i files, giving you results with not enough contrast)."

Thanks Flo. I'll give it a try.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]