MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Buy Media 100HD or...

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremyRBuy Media 100HD or...
by on Aug 30, 2005 at 10:32:05 pm

I do Prod. at a TV station. We currently have 2 Media 100's one on a g4, and one on a g5. I am looking to add a 3rd system. should I convince the boss to bear the extra expense and get the media 100HD system, or cut my ties to media 100 and look at a new NLE. I like my current system (although NOT the Magma expansion bay... way too loud)
If I do move on, what NLE will play nicely with my old Media 100 projects (if any)
Thanks,
Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jim WiglerEVACUATE MEDIA 100 & NEW ORLEANS NOW!
by on Aug 31, 2005 at 12:08:31 am

I just bought a G5 and Final Cut Pro Studio and I am thrilled with it. Wow! I've been doing lessons and tutorials and FCP must be the most elegant video editing program ever written. The color correction capabilities are worth the switch alone.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Buy Media 100HD or...
by on Aug 31, 2005 at 6:25:44 am

[jeremyR] "If I do move on, what NLE will play nicely with my old Media 100 projects (if any)"

More or less only Media 100 i and Media 100 HD and sw. With sw and HD you can open all your legacy timelines and media files and continue working where you left off. Plus, you get all the additional realtime power (realtime moving alpha and chroma keyer, realtime codec mixing, realtime RGB colorcorrection,...) for SD projects and the HD capabilities if you need them. And everything within the great Media 100 Ui which still is the most intuitive and quickest way for editing I know.

Return to posts index

Ernie SantellaRe: Buy Media 100HD or...
by on Sep 3, 2005 at 11:38:56 pm

Jeremy,

Don't do it! Go FCP. As a former M100 user since V4, I just went FCP5 G5/DP2.7 and it's amazing in everyway. Way above my expectations. I still have my Version 8 system on the old G4... I hate to even turn it on.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Buy Media 100HD or...
by on Sep 4, 2005 at 9:37:37 pm

I have gone to great lengths to stick with Media 100 having just installed HD with all the associated kit. I couldn't bear to depart from the nice familiar Media 100 editing and had in mind all the warnings about the learning curve with Final Cut. Besides Media 100 is better, isn't it Floh?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2005 at 3:36:16 am

"Steep learning curve"?

Michael,
I was in the same place, upgrade to M100HD or move on.

I was up and running the first day in FCP and finished my first 7 min corporate edit (with clients) the same week. Sure, I don't know everything, but I figured out all the basics the M100 does in one day (Thanks in part to the COW) Now, it's awesome doing all the stuff I could never do and only imagine!

Sorry about bitchin' folks, but like many, I felt let down and didn't want to invest big bucks in a shaky company. If they would have treated us old timers better with BIG discounts to upgrade, I might have stayed, but...

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2005 at 3:29:37 pm

Ernie, I take your point and of course we are all different and have varying levels of skill. But I didn't clarify the whole position I was in. I am now shooting in Sony HDV and I don't think that Final Cut handles the awkward codec of HDV all that well. I propose trying to make the very best of the format by up converting HDV through Convergent Design and edit in HD within Media 100. I hope that eventually I will be able then to master to either HD, HDCAM or DVCAM and choose either 16:9 or 4:3 for each master. I am also wanting to stay with a system I know and love. I am a lot older than you and although the company may well be flaky my system will see me out!

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2005 at 5:08:08 pm

I have the cheaper Sony FX1 HDVcam and it inputs natively. No conversion at all. That was another reason I went FCP over M100HD.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 7, 2005 at 2:11:35 pm

Yes but you are then editing in native HDV are you not? I want to edit in HD to avoid all the problems with mixes and graphics and be able to master in HD, HDCAM and DV, all in 4:3 and 16:9 aspects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]