MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

drive problems 8.2.2 on G5

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmy macdrive problems 8.2.2 on G5
by on Aug 23, 2005 at 3:32:06 pm

I have just set up expansion chassis on a dual 2 gig G5 and upgraded to M100 8.2.2. As my previous external drives have died (10,000 rpm), I have tried to digitize to the second (250 gig) drive in the G5. I digitized for 8 seconds and got the partial "green screen" with the error "Recording difficulties have occurred. Please select a faster drive for output."
So I tried a new G-Raid connected to the G-5 FW800 port and the same thing happened. I erased the G-Raid before using it.
Is there a way to get this to work? I am digitizing at 300kb via firewire from a PD150.
I have projects backing up (while waiting for the chassis to arrive) and am getting a bit nervous! I desperately need help! Thank you!

Return to posts index

FlohRe: drive problems 8.2.2 on G5
by on Aug 23, 2005 at 3:55:18 pm

Were you able to digitize to the 10000 RPM drives with your G5 system? Or did the problems appear when swtiching to the G5?
I would guess that there

Return to posts index

jimmy macRe: drive problems 8.2.2 on G5
by on Aug 23, 2005 at 4:09:06 pm

Hi Flo....wow, you're fast!
Cheetah drives were used on the G4 with M100 7.5 and died.
Yes, cards are placed properly in the G5 and the expansion chassis.
P6000 with DV option, no lossless.
I'm no technician when it comes to this stuff, but I believe everything is set up properly, but maybe not?
I've tried to digitize with and without audio with the same failure.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 23, 2005 at 4:26:06 pm

Having a non-lossless capable P6000 card could be the problem. Only the lossless capable boards worked successfully in the Media 100 tests, the others gave occasionally random failures. But I guess there

Return to posts index

by on Aug 23, 2005 at 5:58:29 pm

Hi Floh -
OSX 10.4.2 QT 7.01
Yes, 8.2.2 is installed. I downloaded the file from M100 site. 8.2.2 is a full install, so I didn't bother with 8.2.1 or earlier.
On M100 site: 4. Are there any limitations in using the approved expansion chassis with M100 8.2.1 in a G5?
Media100i on a G5 delivers all the same capabilities of today's M100i systems with one notable exception. Lossless compression rates are not currently supported.
This is for 8.2.1 - is there more info for 8.2.2 that I'm not seeing?
I am digitizing at 150 kb (do not have clips longer than 20 min. digitized yet) and that's the highest kb that works.
Is 10,000 rpm the only drives that will capture 300kb? What drives will work with my set up? (this is killing me!!)
Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 23, 2005 at 6:06:36 pm

[jimmy mac] "On M100 site: 4. Are there any limitations in using the approved expansion chassis with M100 8.2.1 in a G5?
Media100i on a G5 delivers all the same capabilities of today's M100i systems with one notable exception. Lossless compression rates are not currently supported."

This is correct. Lossless Data Rates are not supported in V8.2.1 or V8.2.2 in combination with an expansion chassis. Additionally on Page 3 of the CPG it reads:"Non-Lossless P6000 Boards are not compatible with the G5/Expansion Chassis configurations. If
you are interested in upgrading your system to a PowerMac G5, please contact your local Media 100 office for board upgrade information, or to see if you board is compatible."
So maybe that

Return to posts index

by on Aug 23, 2005 at 8:43:56 pm

Knew nothing about lossless only boards in the G5. I called M100 more than 7-8 months ago and spoke with some young lady and specifically asked about the P6000 board going into a G5. She never said anything about certain P6000 cards will or will not work and maybe she didn't even know. All she said was to get the expansion chassis and I will be fine with the board.
Anyway, I need to get up and running quickly.
Do the Glyph drives work...any feedback from users? Their website doesn't list any prices.
I was hoping to avoid buying new atto cards and whatnot for scsi, but I may have to after all. What drives seem to be working the best/most reliable?
I have no idea how to set up and stripe drives. My old M100 reseller is long gone and the new one won't touch a system with the expansion chassis...all he wants to do is sell me an HD system.
My head is spinning....I need help/advice.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: drive problems 8.2.2 on G5
by on Aug 24, 2005 at 6:55:16 pm

I use a Glyph DV project on my Dual 1.42 G4/ 8.22 /10.3.9 set up at 360 kb and have had no problems. I have a standard 2x80gb box (2 disks rather than the 4 media 100 suggests)which I bought after using a similar unit on a Dual 1ghz / 7.51 / 9.22 setup at a client's facility, again with no throughput issues at 360.

I used to raid the drives under OSX but switched to ATTO software when I thought it would cure another (unrelated) issue. The OSX raid configuration is simple to set up, manage and obviously dosen't require anu extra outlay on software.

Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 24, 2005 at 7:45:31 pm

Thanks for the great info.
The big concern that I have is what will work with 8.2.2 on a G5, 10.4.2?
The 10,000 rpm drives (now deceased) that I had on the G4 were quite noisy and put off a lot of heat. The G-Raid that I tried was incredibly quite and so compact! It works with FCP, and I guess I was expecting too much to think it would work with my set up. Oh well. Now to try and find the "right" drives.

Return to posts index

Kieran MatthewRe: drive problems 8.2.2 on G5
by on Aug 24, 2005 at 8:28:50 pm

I reckon that the problems that you are experiencing are more likely due to an incompatibility in the G5/expansion chassis/P6000 set-up rather than the drives, after all I routinely edit at 180 on internal un-raided harddrives in the G4. If I can get that out of a 7200 drive on a ATA100 bus, it should be possible to at least get that from the internal drive of the G5. That said I don't have a G5 so cannot say for sure.

As a thought. Try removing the expansion chassis etc from the G5, copy some existing media 100 media (perhaps from the tutorial ?) to the G5 hardrive or the G-Raid, download the Media 100 SW beta and try playing the media back through that. If it plays OK, it's not the drives!

K

Return to posts index

jimmy macRe: FIXED!
by on Aug 25, 2005 at 10:05:16 pm

After calling M100 tech support, the problem was TIGER. Everything seems to be working find now under 10.3.9 and QT 6.5

Return to posts index

Mary C.Re: FIXED!
by on Aug 26, 2005 at 3:42:44 pm

Has anyone come across a solution for this problem in Tiger? My drives were working fine until I installed the new OSX software codecs. I immediately began experiencing the "select a faster drive" error. I have no problems editing programs, just with digitizing. Is this unique to the G5 with expansion chassis running Tiger? I want to avoid having to reinstall Panther. Tiger is so much more flexible with my other workflow needs. The only hangup with the OS is my Media 100i. Anyone come across a fix?

Thanks,
Mary Crist

Return to posts index

jimmy macRe: FIXED!
by on Aug 31, 2005 at 3:05:25 pm

If you have a second internal hard drive (I installed a second 250 gig drive), Install Panter 10.3.9 on the second drive and start up from that drive to use Media 100. I find the expansion chassis to be much more quiet than my old scsi external drives and I now use a G-Raid (FW800) for digitizing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]