MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100i and G-RAID?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy TaplinMedia 100i and G-RAID?
by on Aug 20, 2005 at 12:01:15 pm

I've just bought 2 G-RAID 500GB drives (one for backup!) after my scsi set up started misbehaving. First impressions are very good. Cheap, quiet and fast enough for 360KB (PAL). I had 3 "unexpected quits" yesterday so I backed up everytbing and erased the drive I was using for editing (which I did not do straight from the box as it just mounted without needing to be formatted) - and then copied all the media files back again. Time will tell if this has fixed that problem.

I'm using a G4 M100 8.2.2 with a firewire 800 card and the drives are connected via FW800.

Anyone else using theese drives? My M100 supplier tells me they are not approved by M100, apparently the Glyphs are the only Firewire RAID approved but they could not supply quickly enough and were more expensive. Also the G-RAID seem to get very good reviews with FCP.

Andy Taplin

Return to posts index

Steve GriffithsRe: Media 100i and G-RAID?
by on Aug 25, 2005 at 2:14:26 am

I'd be interested to know if the G-raid is actually the cause of your unexpected quits?
I'm considering the same drive.

It might be the Firewire 800 card which is contributing to the problem - though I'm guessing,
no hard and fast experience with that raid or a firewire 800 card. Could the firewire800 card is adding some
overhead to your throughput?

I do however run M100 at between 220kb & 300kb using several drives including a non-raid
Lacie 1 terrabyte extreme disk running through the built in firewire800 on a G4 dual1.25 with no issue.
I keep the audio on scsi drives though.

Steve Griffiths

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved