MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

How to pay royalties for music?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome RobbinsHow to pay royalties for music?
by on Aug 15, 2005 at 9:39:01 pm

I have a client that wants to use Gordan Lightfoot's "Canadian RR trilogy" in a photomontage. It is a historical piece that will be shown only to small interested groups. He and I both want to make sure no one gets into trouble for using this music. The video won't be for sale nor will there be any admission paid to see it. We just don't want problems.

How do I go about finding out who to pay and how much?

Let me know if there is another forum for this question please.

Jerome

Return to posts index

MarcRe: How to pay royalties for music?
by on Aug 16, 2005 at 12:37:59 am

Hi,

Although I've never done it myself directly, the script assistants at my place just usually start with the record company/label listed on the cd jacket and go from there. I work for a non-profit art gallery in Canada and when we specify exactly what you said - "The video won't be for sale nor will there be any admission paid to see it." - we sometimes even get a deal. Best I've seen is "If you buy the CD at retail prices, and give us a credit in the credit roll, you can use a 2 minute clip, just for this one video, at no extra charge". Hard to beat that.

Good luck,

Marc

Return to posts index

Jerome RobbinsRe: How to pay royalties for music?
by on Aug 16, 2005 at 3:11:05 am

Thanks for the response I'll try your suggestion.
Jerome

Return to posts index

GregRe: How to pay royalties for music?
by on Aug 17, 2005 at 9:23:36 pm

I've always used a company in new york call BZ rights. Do a google search. They'll research for you, and let you know what the price will be

Return to posts index

David JonesRe: How to pay royalties for music?
by on Aug 23, 2005 at 6:06:43 pm

You might try the Harry Fox agency

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]